Bathroom Mirror with light

SWMBO wants an illuminated, demisting bathroom mirror on the wall. I have agreed proviing ith has a shaver socket.
My question is about wiring it. It will be fitted almost where a Shaver Transformer is currently.
I would like to remove the existing transformer and use the wiring (off lighting circuit) to power the mirror.
The transformer has 3 lives and 3 neutrals looped into the back box.
I would like to end up with the backbox covered over and the flex from the mirror terminated under that cover.
Any suggrestions for doing it correctly?
An alternative may be to pull the 3 cables up into the loft, join them in a junction box and take a single cable down to the back box. However the cables are in an area of very restricted working space.
On 28/07/2019 10:26, DerbyBorn wrote:

If you could fit a blank plate with a hole drilled in it for the flex then do that. Wagos or strip connector will be fine.
--
Adam

Sounds great. Thanks.

I am assuming the shaver socket will not be on an isolating transformer. Should I consider a separate earth leakage device - (which would mean pulling the cables up the partition wall into the loft!)
On Sunday, 28 July 2019 12:02:28 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

Use an FCU

it certainly will be

no need
NT

Personally, I'd like to test that. One way is to dismantle the mirror and take a look. Is the other way to check the voltage of the socket's two conductors against earth separately? Worrying if they are not both zero. :)
On Sunday, 28 July 2019 13:56:39 UTC+1, GB wrote:

test for continuity from outputs to mains inputs. If there is continuity, it's not fit for purpose.
NT
Should the Spec tell me?
On 28/07/2019 15:54, DerbyBorn wrote:

I would very much hope so.
On 28/07/2019 16:22, Fredxx wrote:

Possibly in Cinglish.
--
Adam

On 28/07/2019 12:02, DerbyBorn wrote:

That would not be regs compliant. It needs to be an isolating transformer, not a bog standard shaver point with RCD protection.
See if you can find a manual for what she wants to buy?
--
Adam

I'm giving one away but he will have to fetch:-)
Shaver outlet, led lamps, heated glass and a photo cell on/off switch.
The downside is the glass stands 2" off the wall due to the transformers and controls and was vetoed by senior management after installation:-(

--
Tim Lamb

On 28/07/2019 17:23, Tim Lamb wrote:

Most mirror lights do stand off the wall.
--
Adam

For a neat flex outlet, get a socket with a TV outlet on it, and remove the tv socket.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 28/07/2019 19:17, charles wrote:

Simpler still, just get a flex outlet plate, it includes the terminals, cord grip and neat cable outlet slot flush against the wall. e.g. https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK1090.html
On 28/07/2019 20:24, Mike Clarke wrote:

But the shaver socket that the OP has will be a 2 gang fitting.
--
Adam

Yes. These particular ones are embedded in the glass

--
Tim Lamb

We’ve got a these in both bathrooms and wouldn’t be without them- although I don’t use the shaver socket, I can’t get on with electric razors.
Both of ours have a shallow metal box behind the glass which keeps the glass maybe an inch from the wall. It is virtually as large as the mirror. It is hollow, mostly empty ( it contains the electronics but they don’t take much space). The fitting instructions show it against the wall, rather than sunk into it.
Provided your new mirror covers the existing power outlet, it will cover it and solve your problem.
My only regret is not getting the version with radio in. I like Classic FM in the morning.