Corgi and Part P

Two related issues here. May I alter the controls of a system as long as I don't touch the boiler controls, or is this an official CORGI job? Can I install wiring and controls and still be within parts P? The controls are after a fused spur so is this exempt from Part P as it is is not the house wiring?

TIA

Reply to
timegoesby

Where are the controls?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The normal zone valves, clocks, etc.

Reply to
timegoesby

Sorry you may have misread me. I said WHERE are the controls not WHAT controls.

If the _new_ controls are in a kitchen, out-building, wet utility room, etc then it comes under Part Prescot. Which means Building Control or 'guild' membership.

If its like for like maintenance or in other locations then it's legally DIY, provided the controls don't render the gas appliance unsafe (hard to imagine how they could for a boiler).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Under Part P, flex 5 core CH cable is not permitted. It has to be flat cable.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Care to cite that regulation?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What a Corgi fitter told me who has just done the course. Permanent cable must not be flex..

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Incorrect - and Part P is not the issue. BS7671 is.

Take for example, a light fitting that runs hot, such a 240V Halogen unit. It is actually preferred to terminate any PVC T+E short of the fitting and run the last short leg in heat resistant cable, which usually means HT flex.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Well either you misunderstood, he misunderstood, or his course was wrong.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Part P has nothing to say on this subject at all.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's a reliable source of information (heavy sarcasm).

If there were a regulation, it would be in BS7671.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Probably his course is wrong. Some of the crap they tell them is unbelievable.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You mean: like on the zone valves - not.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

My understanding is that Pumps, Boilers, Zone valves are fitted with flexes. Fixed wiring (eg. to the wall thermostat) would be in cable.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

No need to panic Dribble, use this instead.

Matt

What about wiring to zone valves that are pretty far away from the rest of the system - i.e. in airing cupboards? I have always ran cable to a point near the system and then used a junction box or chocolate blocks in a suitable enclosure to convert up the flex attached to the valve.

Come to think of it - I've always done the same with immersion heaters - cable to an appropriate point and then a connection to heat resistant flex into the heater.

Reply to
Richard Conway

I guess that in those cases you can use a couple of runs of 2&E or 3&E with a JB as you describe. If either end was in a Special Location or a Kitchen then the job would be notifiable.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

There would be no problem using multi-core flex of appropriate rating for the full run.

Whilst there are situations where it is clearly incorrect to use solid core where cable flexing is expected, there isn't any situation in an installation where solid core cable must be used in preference to flexible cable of the correct rating. Solid core cable is used because it's physically significantly smaller for the same rating, and because when clipped, it sags very much less. If these aren't important in your situation, and you need more cores than are available with solid core cables, then there's no reason not to use multicore flex of appropriate rating. Beware of issues such as earth fault loop impedance, fusing, and disconnection times though, particularly if using long lengths.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks. The loop impedance shouldn't be too much of a problem as the circuit will always be protected with a 3A cartridge fuse and the CPC is of the same csa as the cores.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Each electrical component would need a ternminal oulet box to convert from solid flat cable to to flex.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel