Part P(the first year)

Ok, Part P is now celebrating its first birthday.This time last year opinions were very much divided regarding this new requirement.What are the groups feelings now?

Reply to
michaelangelo7

I don't think its made any significant differance as to what competant DIY'ers do in their own home (or incompetant ones for that matter).

Reply to
Dark Angel

In message , Dark Angel wrote

It must have saved hundreds of lives.

Reply to
Alan

Absolutely right - it's just made professional jobs more expensive!

But we knew that at the start, didn't we?!

Reply to
Set Square

What is this "Part P" of which you speak? - Oh that piece of gobshite nonsense, in reality quite irrelevant to most I think.

Henry

Reply to
Henry

I haven't had time to browse the trade press for around 3 months, but last time I did, it was looking like the majority of the electrical trade was ignoring it anyway.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Millions, even?

Reply to
Partac

The notices about it seem to have vanished from B&Q Warehouse long ago... Looks like everyone is treating it with exactly the respect it deserves, i.e. none.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Bodged cabling will be far safer in harmonised colours.

HTH

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

It's actually relevent to everyone.

And as all new fittings are going to be date stamped, if you fi something your not supposed to, or do any wiring yourself that need building notice and you don't go through all the crap and expense tha comes with it, and have a fire, your insurance company can and mos probably WILL refuse to pay out.

The days of being a DIY electrician are out of the window

-- Pat-UK

Reply to
Pat-UK

BUT you CAN replace existing cables and fittings without the need for BCO testing, how are they to know whether something is new or simply updated?

Reply to
Dark Angel

And new colour cables were available before the law came into force so whats not to say it was done before Part P? No real way or proving/disproving when work was done other than someones word.

Reply to
Rob Convery

Only if you use new items. Buy up old stock of red and black cabl (ebay still selling loads) and check all other items for dates (if the have them) before installing.

After all, whats the likelyhood of having a house fire in you lifetime

-- Part P Avoider

Reply to
Part P Avoider

Just make sure the certificate goes up with the house!

Reply to
Fred

Do you not have buildings insurance then?

Reply to
Richard Conway

It's not actually, only in England and Wales.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Been seen and done and have the grey hair to prove, Fires do happen, had one, and know how much of a shi* insurance companies can be

-- Pat-UK

Reply to
Pat-UK

Can't see many round these parts agreeing with you...

Reply to
John Rumm

hundreds of the er... 10 - 20 each year who die as a result of fixed wiring faults.

Although seriously, if people do start taking notice of it in a big way it would be interesting to know how many more it actually kills.

Reply to
John Rumm

So tell us what caused it? I'll bet it was nothing that would have come under Part P.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq