Running a ring from a FUSED spur

I have a brick shed which I'm current converting into a small office. The electricity comes from a spur of the main ring. The spur "terminates" at a fused junction box in the shed. As this junction box is fused, would it be possible to run a small ring in the shed of perhaps 4 double sockets?

Reply to
Stephen Gilkes

"Stephen Gilkes" wrote | I have a brick shed which I'm current converting into a small | office. The electricity comes from a spur of the main ring. | The spur "terminates" at a fused junction box in the shed. | As this junction box is fused, would it be possible to run | a small ring in the shed of perhaps 4 double sockets?

You can run 4 sockets off a *fused* spur, but there is no need and nothing to be gained by wiring as a ring, as the total current will be limited by the 13A fuse in the spur. Use 2.5mm cable.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

When you say fused junction box I'm assuming you mean a switched fused spur, like the kind on your central heating. As the maximum you will be able to draw from this spur is 13A a ring is way OTT. You want a radial circuit, which could be wired in 1.5mm cable if it's only a smallish shed. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Why make it a ring, there's absolutely no point, just wire it as a radial with branches as required.

Reply to
usenet

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Reply to
Stephen Gilkes

Can I use 4 double sockets or does it have to be 4 single sockets?

Reply to
Stephen Gilkes

It doesn't matter because the overall supply will be limited to 13A.

You can have as many sockets as you like, double or single.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You can have dozens of single and double sockets if you want, there is no specific regulations limit on the number. The limiting factor will be the possible total loading which can be run off the spur which is (presumably) fused at 13 amps. Diversity can be applied so the total

*possible* load if everything is plugged in and turned on doesn't really matter.
Reply to
usenet

By radial, does it mean each socket will have its own 2.5mm cable running to the junction box?

Or can I "daisy-chain" 3 sockets for example?

Reply to
Stephen Gilkes

You can branch and daisy chain in whatever way you like with no limit to the number of branches. This is one of the major advantages of a radial circuit wired in 2.5sq mm cable on a 20 amp MCB. There's no limit to how you extend it and you don't have to know whether a socket you're extending from is already a 'spur' or not.

Reply to
usenet

There are of course limits which apply if you are likely to have very long runs of cable, however when using a 'tree structured' radial circuit to supply 50 square metres of floor area in a domestic situation you're unlikely to reach the cable length limits.

Reply to
usenet