Drilling into concrete spur post

Greetings. I want to drill a couple of additional bolt-holes through a 100x100mm concrete spur post, which is currently supporting my fence. I've got an SDS drill, but I'm worried that the post may shatter (after previous "experience" with house-bricks, leaving a nice series of exit wounds on the other side of the wall). Has anybody tried this? Any tips? Thanks in advance, Al. (email address no longer connected)

Reply to
Al, Cambridge, UK

I've drilled a hole in my concrete 4" square post. I clamped a piece of wood against it to avoid an exit wound. and switched off the hammer action on the drill. The problem is, that theyr'e re-inforced with wire, and you may hit one & i trusted to luck!! not sure how to detect a wire in concrete.

Reply to
coaster

Yes. Go gently, from each side, with a pilot drill, then enlarge, also from each side. You need to be able to drill straight, obviously! To assist this, a piece of batten pressed up against the post is useful to line up the bit.

You should not get an exit crated when drilling through walls - the outside should be propped to prevent this, and pilot holes should be drilled carefully. OK, I know... try telling *that* to the television aerial man.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Actually, I might not use an SDS drill in this case, just an "ordinary" hammer drill, using sharp bits.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It's put in at the corners, or the slot edges for slotted posts, and held in place in the mould with plastic Xs. (the wire goes through the middle of the X).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Thanks for your replies. Al

Reply to