Sockets on a Fused Spur.

Gentles,

At present I have a spur from my ring feeding a double 13amp socket. It used to power a DECT Base Station and ADSL Router. Having had this "upgraded" to FTTC I now find I need three outlets as the ONT also needs power.

At present this is running from a 4-way "power bar" which is somewhat untidy. I gather the regulations don't allow three sockets on an unfused spur, but they do on a fused spur. So I was thinking of converting the spur to being fused, and putting two doubles on the end of it.

So my questions are:-

  1. Does the fused spur box have to be in the ring, or can it be inserted into the spur along its length.

  1. Is this a DIY job or does it count as a new circuit and so require Part-P approval.

  2. Any other suggestions? I guess as the POTS line will at some point cease to function, I should look at have a small UPS powering theses devices?

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

MK make a three gang socket, K2737WHI that comes with a 13A fuse this would allow you to connect to an unfused spur. The only draw back is that it requires a three gang back box which can often be hard to find there is also a three gang surface box.

No need for Part P approval it is just the same as replacing a normal socket.

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

As far as I'm aware it doesn't have to be on the ring. It's certainly as 'safe' and correctly protected as an unfused spur with a twin socket at the end wherever you put it (as long as it's before the sockets of course).

Grey area I think, I'd claim it's not a new circuit. Whatever, it's very doubtful if anyone would ever notice. (... and have the rules been relaxed somewhat now so it's outside Part P? No doubt someone will clarify).

Maybe a good idea, it depends how reliable your mains power is. In many cases a 'UPS' can be a battery with an 'intelligent' charger that won't overcharge at all and can thus be permanently connected. This would be a lot cheaper than a real UPS and probably more efficient as it's not converting from battery to mains to device. This, of course, makes more sense if devices have same/similar supply voltages.

Reply to
Chris Green

Some time ago, I converted all the 2 gang sockets in our kitchen to 4 gang, using something like this:

They work faultlessly.

Reply to
GB

either's fine

it's clearly not a new circuit

You can get a fused 2 way to 4 way converter socket from toolsatan et al. All you do is replace the socket. It changes it from flush to surface mounted.

Reply to
Animal

If you are getting a ONT, then that is FTTP not FTTC.

In can be anywhere in the spur before the sockets

It is not notifiable... (all electrical work comes under part P but only installing a new circuit, changing a CU or new work in a special location needs notification or certification to LABC.

IMHO, a UPS is handy on the comms gear.

Reply to
John Rumm

Nothing grey about it - it is not a new circuit (which would imply new MCB in the CU, and new run of cable right back to that MCB). One of the daft things about part P is that you can legally extend an existing circuit as much as you want - even where is is the less safe and sensible choice compared to adding a new circuit.

Reply to
John Rumm

MK K2737 WHI 3 Gang can be flush or surface, depending on the mounting box. 7mm projection when flush.

The converter type sockets eg Screwfix 898CC (triple) are about 15mm projection.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Correct, slip of the keyboard gone from FTTC to FTTP...

Thanks John

In the end I bought a three-gang socket with fuse from Screwfix which simplifies the work.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Quite a market in Red/Black twin and earth I believe;-)

Reply to
John J

That has always seemed a bit pointless to me - part P was brought in during the phased change of the fixed wiring colours. So brown/blue can legitimately pre-date part P, and red/black can also legitimately post date it. So the colour of the wire does not let you conclusively "date" an installation to before part P came into force.

(however there is a demand for red/black to extend existing red/black installations to avoid some of the confusion that can occur by adding in some new blue/brown wiring (where black was neutral, and is now live, and blue was live and is now neutral!))

Reply to
John Rumm

That's usually only a problem on 3 phase:-)

However on single phase installations (fans and boiler switching etc) when the harmonised colours were introduced the industry pretty much agreed that in 3 core and earth cable that the black core would become the switched live and the grey would become the neutral.

The use of blue on the old 3 core cables as neutral had been used for years as it matched the blue on flex cables.

Reply to
ARW