Kitchen ring, switched spur

Hi, In my kitchen (rewired a long time ago) there is a single ring, and a separate cooker radial. From the ring there is a switched spur which goes to a double socket under the countertop. This has a washing machine and dishwasher plugged in. The switch (I think) looks like a 20Amp part. Is this scenario acceptable?

Reply to
Grumps

Yes, it's quite "correct". You *might* argue that having both a washing machine and a dishwasher whose heating elements might run simultaneously is a little marginal but I doubt if the total load exceeds 20 amps as the dishwasher probably has only a 1kW heater (you might want to check this).

Is the switch one with a fuse in it or is it just a switch? If it's one with a fuse (13A) in it then the whole thing is even more "correct".

Reply to
Chris Green

Thanks. No, there is no fuse in the switch. I can replace it with a fused switch. Or is that something you're not allowed to do?

Reply to
Grumps

You can do it, but there's no need to, for a spur with just one single, or one double 13A socket on it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You can but it's not necessary so long as (a) there's only the one double socket on the spur and (b) you don't have a plethora of unfused spurs. See

Robin

There's no need, it would just be "belt and braces". A twin socket on a spur on a ring main is quite OK and as allowed by the regulations. You can't add anything further to the spur though.

It's a bit of a grey area how Part P might apply to changing the switch to an FCU. I *think* your allowed to change/repair existing stuff but not dd new stuff in a kitchen. I'm sure someone else will know more exactly.

Reply to
Chris Green

Kitchens ceased to be a special location in 2013 as part of the reforms called for by the Select Committee. So broadly speaking only a new circuit is notifiable.

Reply to
Robin

Kitchens are no longer "special locations" for Part P (unless they contain a bath, shower, swimming pool or sauna heater)

Reply to
Andy Burns

You are allowed "to do" - but I can see no advantage in so doing.

(I would actually argue it would make it less fit for purpose).

An unfused spur can have one single or one double socket on the end of it. The nominal load is treated as 20A. In theory the socket could support 26A - but that is unlikely to occur as a long term load (neither appliance is likely yo be 13A - and both have shortish duty cycles and thermostatic controls). A 2.5mm^2 spur cable has an installed rating of

27A if clipped direct or embedded in masonry.

If you added a FCU at the spur point you would just make a nuisance fuse failure a possibility in a situation where the overload protection is already "designed in" by the rules governing spurs.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think you are allowed. But who cares? You know its safe to do so. Safer in fact. Better than any EU bureacrats

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which reminds me. They now sell plug in double induction hobs with a 13A plug. This seems a little marginal, as I'd have thought the current might be affected by the presence of the pan and its contents. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think with many induction hobs, you program it to let it know whether it's on a 13A/16A/20A/32A circuit and it modulates the power of the "rings" down to suit, if more than one is on at a time?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Bring back the Baby Belling. That had a grill and oven as well as two rings. Of course you couldn't have more than two things on at once.

Reply to
Max Demian

It seems they have ...

Andy Burns

I still have one, in the shed. I really should get rid of it.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Can my mum have it? :-)

Reply to
SH

Sure, if you want to pick it up for her. The shed it's in, is on the north coast of Scotland...

Reply to
S Viemeister

I remember the pre-1972 version that had a hot plate on top with the grill underneath at the top of the oven and a metal sheet you could slide in to reflect the heat up. There were two off/low/medium/high switches, one for the hotplate/grill and one for the oven. There was a thermometer built into the oven door. I think they were designed for a

15A socket but people plugged them into 13A.
Reply to
Max Demian

What defines a room as a kitchen?

eg in offices a separate room with a kettle, microwave and a toaster is often called a kitchen but it has no cooker/oven so IMHO it's not a kitchen.

Reply to
ARW

Spot on for the building regs where '“kitchen” means a room or part of a room which contains a sink and food preparation facilities'.

But I've no idea just what distinguishes a sink from a washbasin. Or indeed from a bidet fitted on a plinth.

Reply to
Robin