Freezer Digital Indicator - what's the point?

Our previous Bosch fridge freezer was programmed to lie to the user. The displays would stoically show (say) - 18 & +5 even when the door had been opened and would only register a fall when it exceeded 3 centigrade degrees.

Reply to
Graham.

Just got a brand new Fridge/Freezer. No longer having a dial 1-6 (is

6 colder than 1 ??) but nice digital display where I can set exactly Fridge 3degC, Freezer -19DegC.

Well have you checked yours? Because at the -19DegC we were dismayed to see that the frozen fish was a little soft. Dig out the thermometer, -15 !!

Similar fridge is about +4degC warm.

Contact Samsung support - this is normal they say, the display is merely a guide.

Am I being fobbed off or is this just another case of stupid digital advancement? How many folk have a freezer thermometer handy (of course all on here do)?

Reply to
AnthonyL

In general, fridge-freezers have only one cooling system and only one thermostat, which is based on the fridge temperature. So, yes, the freezer temperature may vary significantly, depending on people opening the *fridge* door.

It's why it is a bad idea to put fridge freezers outdoors e.g. a garage. In cold weather e.g. below 4 degrees, the fridge thermostat may be happy without ever running the cooling system, therefore the freezer may get very warm, rather counterintuitively.

Of course, yours may be an amazing device with two cooling systems...

Reply to
Joe

I think the clue is in my OP where I state I have set the Fridge to a temp and the freezer to a temp. However my post also indicates that I do not think it is an amazing device. It is one week old.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Probably, as it is a cold producing device.

They want to make it look technical. If there are printed instructions they should say the temp is just a guide.

(I don't have a thermometer, but I'm pretty sure my freezer is about

-25C, as I can just about freeze vodka. And I have to take ice cream out

20 minutes before it is required.)
Reply to
Max Demian

Digital displays are dirt cheap and impress stupid people. Expecting them to *work* is a bit too much to ask.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's more of a setting than a display. It is on the inside with < >

to increase/decrease the desired (or it purports) temperature with default presets of +3 and -19 as recommended in the manual for fridge/freezer respectively.

As it is I just would have prefered a couple of dials - warmer/colder and a free thermometer. The one I have was inset and removed from a freezer that died a couiple of decades ago.

Reply to
AnthonyL

We have an Accur8 weather station with two sensors, one is outside as per normal, one is inside the fridge/freezer which is in the garden cabin. Currenly reading -18.3C

Reply to
Paul Herber

The fridge freezers that we have had over the years have just used a single cooling system to control the freezer temperature, so they'd still run properly, regardless of fridge temperature. The fridge was cooled and controlled by a temperature sensor, fan and motorised flap, that simply circulate cold air from the freezer, through the fridge, as needed.

Reply to
SteveW

Its not stupid, it does make it clear which direction the conlrol works in and is better than labelling it warmer/colder etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You possibly need a min/max indicator.

I have the sensors for

my fridge and freezer

Over a period of a month or so the limits of temperature have been Freezer -22C to -18C Larder type fridge 5C to 12C - the upper value may have been an extended period with the door open whilst being quickly wiped down and loaded up.

Note: if anyone is thinking of the same model of the remote thermometer also buy some lithium batteries for the sensor/transmitters (2 off AA for each sensor/transmitter) Lithium will work reliably down to -40C whereas alkaline only to -20C. In my experience alkaline batteries will fail to reliably power the sensor/transmitter in the freezer.

Reply to
alan_m

example

alan_m

In what way is it better than labelling it warmer/colder etc?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Basically gets you roughly the temperature that the food label recommends.

Reply to
Rod Speed

language independent for world wide sales?

Reply to
alan_m

I *hate* devices that have dials calibrated with arbitrary numbers 1-6. I like to be able to set something to a definite temperature (or whatever) and be confident that it will be at that temperature.

Our Beko freezer has a display on the outside but it only indicates the desired temperature (ie a constant figure) and does not indicate the actual temperature which may increase if the door has been open for a while or if room-temperature food has been put in the freezer to start freezing it.

We've had two freezers fail. One was kept in the garage (yes, it was a Beko that was usable down to about -20 deg C ambient temperature) and for some reason the temperature alert buzzer didn't sound. I caught that when food was still fairly frozen (a thermometer showed -8 deg C) so the only thing we lost was ice cream; everything else was cold, if not frozen solid so we cooked everything in batches and re-froze it in another freezer.

After that we used one of our energy-monitoring plugs and an app for the Raspberry Pi to monitor energy consumption in the form of a graph against time, as a crude way of monitoring temperature (any abnormal graph suggests door ajar or compressor motor failure).

We also put one of those monitors on a freezer in the kitchen and found a second failure: the freezer seemed to be on all the time, instead of cycling with the thermostat. We caught that early: the temp was still

-15 so we just transferred things to another freezer. That was a problem with a freezer that was only about 3 months old, so we got it replaced under warranty: the coolant had leaked out through a crack in the pipe. The guy who came to investigate said that not only was it not a fault that he could repair at our house (hardly surprising!) but also was not a fault that the manufacturer would repair: the whole freezer would be scrapped (maybe cannibalised for motor/compressor, maybe not even cannibalised but sent straight to the tip). The replacement has lasted 2 years so far, so the original was evidently a bad one.

We would never buy a fridge/freezer because we know all about the crap single-compressor, single-thermostat design.

Reply to
NY

I think a green-to-red scale (green=colder; red=warmer) is probably more intuitive (and also language-independent) than an arbitrarily-number scale, because of the problem about "does higher number mean warmer or colder?"

The best is a properly-calibrated dial or menu-and-display, so you know exactly what temperature (in real units) you are setting it to.

And the display needs to show the actual temperature, continuously, as well as the desired temperature. I'd rather see the display say "the freezer is currently -15 deg C" than "you want the freezer to be -18 deg C" (but it may *actually* be something different which is not so different as to trigger the "too warm" alarm).

Reply to
NY

NY snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote

Me too and warmer/colder isnt much better.

Me too.

I've only had one fail.

I had one lose its gas. One of those with fixed shelves made from pressed sheet metal. I have two others of the same size, bar fridge sized freezers, but the other ones have the shelves made from copper pipe with solid thin rod welded between the copper pipes.

I'd like to have a fully integrated temperature monitoring system with a sensor wherever I want them, rooms, fridges and freezers, the big wall over and those meat thermometers you put in a steak or leg of lamb etc and once for each beer brewing barrel. I have quite literally 20 beer brewing barrels now and would like to have a full record of the temp of each of them during the beer brewing run. Haven't got around to doing it yet.

Yeah, mine are all all fridge or freezer. The main fridge and freezer pair are the biggest domestic fridge and freezer you can buy and I still use one of the small bar fridge freezers as an overflow. Should add another full sized vertical frost free freezer so I have two of those. Vastly better than any manual defrost freezer and much more convenient with big deep slide out bins.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Adjusting that to achieve an actual -18C might save you some money over the course of a year.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

No doubt, but the thermostat is clearly faulty and it's part of a rented flat. It does work though, and I can be sure that the food won't go off, in the fridge or freezer part.

Reply to
Max Demian