OT: Unusual email address

A friend has the email address of the form snipped-for-privacy@surname.uk

I've never seen one like that before. Is it specific to Apple iphone, for example, or something similar?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It's a standard .uk domain, I have one.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Not really. It will be under the .uk TLD

Reply to
Jethro_uk

No, xxxxx.uk is an easy to get and relatively cheap domain name. I have isbd.uk for example, so <almost anything>@isbd.uk will get to me.

Reply to
Chris Green

There has been a rash of those new last bits like .uk in this sense and anyone is free to grab one with their surname while its free.

Nope, nothing to do with that at all.

Reply to
chop

They are free to do so now, but there was a period of several years where the .uk domain was reserved for the owner of the corresponding .co.uk domain (and I think .org.uk etc, had second dibs but I can't remember the hierarchy of priority).

See my email address used here for quite a while, and most photo links I upload e.g. [not interesting]

Andy Burns

Thanks for the explanations. It was not something I'd seen before for a private individual, especially as the person also has a traditional email address.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I have one just like that, except that the top level isn't .uk.

Anyone with a .co.uk domain was given first refusal on the .uk equivalent.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've not seen it before, however have have had surname.me.uk for many years.

Reply to
SteveW

And the new one looks much better.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nominet threw open access to any name you wanted under the uk top level domain a few years back. So you can have anythingyoulike.uk (assuming no one else has it a few other rules).

123-reg caused a stir by giving all owners of a .co.uk the equivalent .uk free of charge... but with auto renew enabled in case you forgot to cancel it!
Reply to
John Rumm

Nope. He must have just registered lastname.uk

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you are willing to have your own domain, you can do as you please as far as I know. I often do wonder though that if you wanted to have an address pissoff.co.uk, whether you might have a bit of an issue getting. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have that domain name too! (for my name)

Reply to
Bob Eager

you could have an address like that too. Just needs a little investment

Robin

The rules change. Years ago I had a company, the name of which ended in "Control & Instrumentation", shortened to "nnnnnn C&I". When I applied for a domain, I could, of course, not have an "&", so the logical route was to make it "nnnnnnCI.co.uk", but they would not allow that as that was not properly related to my company name. They insisted that it had to be "nnnnnnCandI.co.uk", despite me pointing out that it made it look like a sweet company!

Reply to
SteveW

It appears to be available if you want it.

Rod Speed

$ whois f*ck.me.uk

Domain name: f*ck.me.uk

Data validation: Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 05-Jan-2023

Registrar: Andrews &amp; Arnold Limited [Tag = AAISP] URL:

Relevant dates: Registered on: 14-Jan-2002

However:

gov't proposes banning swearing

And his son's school e-mail address:

Alan J. Wylie

And that would be anti-Italian discrimination. "Fucksia" is a common surname in Italy.

E' guerra, patrioti! (Willing to switch side if money is good)

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

Well lots of girls called Fucshia. And they do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher