refrigerator freezer troubles

Hi All,

Help!

refrigerator freezer: Whirlpool GR2SHKXKQ 21.6 cu ft Purchased ~ 12/2010

Stinker won't cool below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Both sections.

It started out stinking like a burnt tire. Then frost all over the freezer items.

So I replaced the 4387244 Condenser Fan Motor, which indeed was leaking oil and not spinning too freely.

Now I have lots of air going in the bottom front left (my left, its right) and going out the bottom front right.

The wind coming out the fan in the freezer section is not all that cold.

The thing runs for a while and stops. Then cycles again after a bit. If it is off and I kill power at the breaker, it will start again.

I need my freeze back before I loose big dollars in food. And the local repairmen take forever to get here. Plus, most of them suck at it. The one guy that is magic at this stuff is so far away, it is hard to get him to come out (I insist on paying travel, but he is swamped.)

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi, No ice build up inside any where? Checked defrost timer?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi Tony,

No ice anywhere.

How do I check the defrost timer?

-T

Reply to
Todd

If it helps, the big metal black ball in the back that the condenser fan motor sucks across is plenty hot.

Reply to
Todd

I looked on the Sears web site, and appears that the timer is an electronic control. Too many contacts to swap out with an old one. Might be the problem.

Hey, you didn't say on your first post. Did you want to try and fix this yourself?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks, that gives us some information. Let me know if you want some things to check, and work on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes.

It does cool, but only down to 50 F. If I load it up with ice, it gets down to 35 F

Reply to
Todd

Stromin! Yes. That is why I posted!

Reply to
Todd

You dyslexic? Be nice if you'd spell my name.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

1) The metal or cardboard on the back is important. Please replace it after any examination or testing. 2) Is the fan in the back running? 3) There should be some black tube and wires, either by the fan or under the unit. These need to be clean, remove any dust or dirt with a brush and vacuum cleaner with a hose.

Those actions fix a LOT of problems. The big round hot black ball in the back, is it just hot, or does it hum and vibrate?

Stay near by it for two or three minutes. Does it hum all the time? Does it hum, pause, and then louder click?

These are part of the diagnostic.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi Stormin Mormon (copy and paste this time),

A Dyslexic typer for sure. I make so many typo'es. Took me a minutes to find how I messed yours up. And I can't see the stinkers until AFTER I hit the send button.

Yes I want things to check.

The thing is now sitting at 55F. I am wondering if it is not all the ice I put in it finally warning up. The air out the fan in the back of the freeze cavity is cool, but not all that cool.

-T

Reply to
Todd

This probably won't help, and I don't really know a lot about refrigerator/freezer stuff, but.... maybe try unplugging the unit, wait 5 minutes, then plug it back in. I am just wondering if the earlier event that caused the burning smell may have goofed up the software and, if so, maybe doing the "reboot" routine will work. Unlikely, I know, but it's free to try.

Reply to
TomR

If you can just let the whole unit warm up enough to basically start fresh, it won't matter if the defrost is working or not. It will have been defrosted by being turned off, warmed up. When you restart it, if it still doesn't cool, then you know it's not a defrost issue, be it the timer, heater or whatever.

From the description, it sounds like you have bigger problems. Basic diagnosis I would do is if the compressor is running, air is flowing over the condensor coils, and the evaporator coils are not getting real cold, then you have a refrigerant system issue of some kind and time to either junk it or call a pro.

Reply to
trader_4

Hi, Drain hose clean? That was the problerrm with my daughter's unit.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

unless the defrost cycle is stuck on?

Reply to
Pico Rico

I don't know a lot about dyslexia, but it's very real, and not a lot you can do about it. I'll be gentle next time, if I say anything at all.

Please check for dust in the coils, that's one very common problem. Also if the big black ball in the back hums, vibrates, and if it pauses every couple seconds. Now that I've repeated myself, I'll read your other posts.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It is on. Air going in the bottom front left grill and out the front right grill.

yes. I replaced it. old one had oil all over it.

Vacuumed it all out when I replaced the fan.

Don't remember any noise. But, wasn't checking for it. It is just hot.

Okay, I just got a hold of the tech I like on the phone.

He said if I was losing freon, both fans would stay on all the time. He also said the bulb in the back would be cooler as it would have less work to do.

He said that the fact that both fans go off and it cycles on and off makes him thing that the thing thinks it is at temperature. He said, it is possibly the

---> 2213100 Adaptive, Defrost Control (electronic) or the ---> 2200859 Thermostat Assembly

He told me to turn the refrigerator section down and see if the temperature decreases from 55F. That would pin it to the Thermostat Assembly.

Reply to
Todd

On the older units with mechanical defrost timer, "stuck in defrost" would also turn off both fans and turn off the compressor. Electronic? Never know how they work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No water build up in any cavity.

Reply to
Todd

Runs for about a half hour and stops. Then waits about a half an hour and cycles again.

Reply to
Todd