refrigerator freezer troubles

Hi All,

I am breaking my no eMail after 8:00 pm rule as the typo's flow like water. So I can't be held responsible!

Epilogue:

After running up to Reno three times, I finally got the right relay part. The proper part number is 2213105 and has been replaced by 8201769. The part number in the parts list (8201769) was a complete joke. Reading the part number off the actual part cured the problem.

Appliance Parts was very gracious about exchanging the wrong part, since I had not open up any packaging. When the held the old part in their hand, they just shook their heads. Apparently, I am not the first person with the problem.

The symptom was poor cooling and a transient smell of burning rubber.

The condenser fan was found to leaking oil and was replaced. Air flow increased substantially. Also the lower coils were coated in dust. They were cleaned.

The compressor and the relay made no noise. My wife described the typical noise as a snap, followed by a short whooshing noise. None were present. Stormin' told me to look for noise.

Measuring the resistance of the condenser came out normal. Measuring the voltage to the relay was also normal at 115 VAC. A rattling noise was observed when I shook the relay in my hand. The new relay had no rattle.

Also, the capacitor fit perfectly on the the

8201769 replacement relay.

When I FINALLY replaced the relay with the correct part and plugged the thing in: no noise. S***! Then about 5 seconds later a loud snap and a rattle from the compressor. The rattle diminished in about 8 seconds to quiet. S*** again. So I unplugged it and let it sit. This time a loud snap, but no rattle.

Oh No! Then I realized that once the condenser gets to pressure, it becomes silent. It also takes a long time to release that pressure. It also says my condenser is in good shape.

My compressor is a Matsushita (Panasonic's parent company). Yippee!

So I felt the outgoing and incoming freon lines. The outgoing was hot and the incoming was cold. 2x yippee! I take back the bad words. Then I felt the air coming out the front of the unit. It was warm. 3x yippee!

The refrigerator cooled faster than I remember it ever cooling (I can remember back to 2001). In about 1/2 hour it was down to temperature. My wife has been playing with the controls to cherry it out. This morning it was -2F in the freezer section and 32F in the refrigerator section.

Lessons learned:

That part number on the part trumps the parts diagram

Parts diagrams are only an aid. They are not exact.

Always take the part with you

Measure the voltage to the relay

Measure the resistance across the pins on the compressor

Look at total cost of ownership, not just the original price of an appliance. (New refrigerators are now 5 to 7 year units. Better to repair an old, good unit.)

Changing compressors (soldering/welding, purging, recharging) is over my head. But nothing else is!

Listen to your wife. She will know every noise that goes bump in the night. Women are more observant than guys anyway.

Always go fishing (hey, it clears your head)

I really appreciate all the help and encouragement everyone gave me. Special thanks to Stormin', who kicked it when finally provided with the proper information.

Man that refrigerator is working nice now! And now that I have fixed it, I have a certain pride in it too.

-T

Reply to
Todd

That's the reward you get at the end of a long and difficult journey. You just have to decide if the reward is worth the difficulty. To many it is, and to many it's not.

Reply to
nestork

And I only lost about $20.00 in food spoilage too

Reply to
Todd

And friends I never knew I had.

I am writing the second $25.00 check to my favorite repairman who graciously talked me through things over the phone, including once at 9:30 at night.

Reply to
Todd

I am, tired.

The part number on the original relay was 2218853, replaced with 2225929.

Reply to
Todd

CY: Great wisdom in getting the actual number off the part, when possible.

CY: I can believe that.

CY: Both very important. I've seen refrig failures due to bad fans, and also due to dust.

CY: Would that be "listen for"?

CY: I suspect you mean "of the compressor".

Measuring the voltage to the relay was

CY: I'd likely not have noticed that.

CY: Sounds odd.

CY: Most of the time, condenser doesn't make any noise at all. It's just a series of tubes and fins.

CY: Yes, that does sound normal.

CY: Sounds ideal. Might be a bit cold in refrig, but no big worries.

CY: Glad to be of some help.

CY: In some churches, pride is a sin.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes

My favorite tech told me to look for that when I called him the second time on the phone. He also told me to try smelling it.

Not really. Pressure had not dissipated.

Should have said "compressor"

Still tweaking.

I am thinking that it is better not to block the top back of the refrigerator cavity, so the wind from the freezer section can evenly blow over everything and not create a frozen stop in the back of the refrigerator.

You are correct. Warm fuzzies from accomplishment are different than conceit (bad pride), especially when the warm fuzzies come with a sense of humility. Humility is the opposite of the bad pride you are speaking of. The Lord touched me and my family through the entire learning curve, both directly with encouragement and indirectly through the friendship of others.

Thank you for helping me with this.

What is your technical opinion of me purchasing both fans and an extra relay in advance of the next failure? My thought is that the parts may not be available in

10 years or so and I really, really don't want to purchase a new, 5 to 7 year refrigerator.

-T

Reply to
Todd

CY: I've mixed up part names. Happens to most folks.

CY: I thought I was (am) your favorite?

CY: Glad that worked out.

CY: You'll get it.

CY: about 1975 or so, someone gave my family a mimeographed print of the warm fuzzy story. I remember it well enough, I can probably tell it. Nice to know you are effective partly of your self, and mostly through God's help, and partly through your friends' help. Having the gift of the Holy Ghost (through ordinance) I enjoy personal revelation often enough.

CY: The fan in back is probably a two watt clockwise unit fan, and should be available. If that's the case, don't tie up your money. The start relay you can sub a Supco hard start kit. The evaporator fan in the freezer might be hard to source. If I'd buy any of these, it would be the evaporator motor.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Can someone explain to me the purpose in engaging in such a discussion.

Do any of the participants actually believe they will change the other person's beliefs by arguing with them?

Todd: For a guy who just got help from Stormin fixing his fridge, you don't seem very appreciative. That comment about smacking him on the head with a rolled up newspaper or having him fix your fridge in Heaven did not go unnoticed. Does your religion condone your forgetting all about who helped you the minute you no longer need their help? You can quote scriptures till he11 freezes over, what MATTERS to the people around you is the way you treat them right here on Earth, and you're not setting a very good example. Are you going to come back here hoping to get Stormin to help you again next time your fridge craps out? Can't you recognize that he helped you out of his good will, and just let him abide by his religious beliefs and you abide by yours?

I just feel that this whole thread has been an exercise on what people shouldn't do. Todd comes in for help. Stormin helps determine what the problem is because he has a lot of experience in refrigeration. Then we end up with an argument on religion where Todd suggest he's going to be smacking Stormin upside the head with a rolled up newspaper in heaven and having him fix his celestial fridge. If that's what being Catholic or Christian is all about, I want no part of it.

Sorry for causing a stir, but this had to be said, and I'm the kinda guy who'll say what needs to be said.

Reply to
nestork

I'm here in this discussion in the hopes that someone will feel the Spirit and further investigate what the LDS church has to say. It's difficult to gently explain the LDS teachings when there is scripture bashing (and rolled up news paper bashing) going on, but I gently continue to do my best. It is also difficult when someone continues to misrepresent what the LDS church teaches, endlessly and repeatedly. I use that as a chance to gently describe what real Mormons believe. Which results in more false doctrine (what Mormons "DON'T" believe) and more chance to explain. Then the contention, argument, bashing, and false doctrine really become more obvious. As I mentioned a couple hours ago, Mormons don't bash or argue, we explain what we know to be true and invite others to learn more. Todd displayed this behaviour and this spirit in at least one other thread on the list. And he's taken it to private email, where he has done exactly the same thing. I consider Todd a very graphic reason of why Joseph Smith Jun. had to take his question first to the Bible, and then to the woods to ask of God. I'd be asking questions, too, if Todd were the pastor or "Christ"ian who lived near me.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I haven't the slightest idea of what you just said.

Reply to
Todd

Hi Nestork,

Gee Wiz. Learn to read between the lines.

When I spoke of smacking him over the head with a newspaper, you completelky missed my intent and the humor involved.

1) you missed "where" we were both located when I was smacking him. Hint, we were both in heaven. I was telling him he wasn't going to hell because he is a truly good person. It is a Christian belief. I was not threatening to hit him.

2) you missed the humor involved. Did you honestly think I was intending to assault him? Do you honestly think they have newspapers in heaven? (Maybe down on the celestial golf course. Did you miss that humor too?)

3) again, you miss the humor involved. Do you honestly think they need refrigerators in heaven? Hint: I was telling him I appreciated what he had done for me. The Heaven's repairman remark was suppose to be a back handed compliment: that he was good enough at his skill that he would be chosen to fix things in heaven. Dude! IT WAS A COMPLIMENT!

Remember, in his religion, I am an "Abomination" and am going to hell. In my religion, all truly good people get to heaven. I was saying, in my opinion, he was one of them.

No sense of humor? Are you a liberal by any chance?

-T

And Stormin' will help me next time I need help. That is who he is.

He is a nice guy and will help anyone in need, even when there is nothing in it for him. Maybe a thank you or two. He acts more like a Christian, even though he is not one, than do a lot of Christians, which is why I think he will have no trouble getting into heaven. I could be wrong as it is not my place to judge such things, but I think I am right on this one.

Reply to
Todd

Hi Stormin',

That part I can figure out. As I am suppose to be respectful of other's religions, I have gone through great pains to to make sure I quotes sources from Mormon sites, such as lds.org. I have taken great pains not to state non-Mormon's opinions as Mormon doctrine.

To this point, I thought I had succeeded in that. Apparently not. Please forgive me.

Did you honestly think I was threatening to hit you with a newspaper or anything else? Did you notice where we were when I cracked that joke? We were both in heaven. It is a Christian belief that all truly good people will get to heaven. I was including you in those good people, not threating to hit you.

By the way, it won't hurt my feeling one bit if you think I have misstated something and you correct me.

-T

If I had not made it abundantly apparent (making you heaven's repairman in humor), I sincerely appreciate your help with the refrigerator. My wife kept asking "what did Stormin' say?" You apparently have a fan club.

Reply to
Todd

Yippee! Another chance to post Mormon teachings.

Articles of Faith Thirteen basic points of belief to which Mormons subscribe.

Reading Scripture One of the first things we?re taught as children are the Articles of Faith ? 13 statements that summarize our fundamental beliefs.

Two years before he died, the Prophet Joseph Smith wrote them in a letter to a newspaper editor, John Wentworth, who had asked for information about the Church.

Ever since the Articles of Faith were written, they?ve inspired and directed us in the basic principles of our gospel. They enhance our understanding of certain doctrines and help us commit to living them. They invite further thought. And they?re a good tool for explaining our beliefs to people unfamiliar with them.

13 Articles of Faith

1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam?s transgression.

3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, it sounded like a threat. I missed the humor.

Interesting that someone wants to hear what I wrote.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi Stormin',

Made me look up "paradisiacal". :-)

This is a wonderful synopsis of your faith. This would explain why so many good people are Mormon.

Thank you for sharing it with me. And thank you for calling it Mormon and not Christian. There is overlap between the two but also a lot of divergence.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Dog, newspaper, indignant. Oh well, there will be time for more humor. The main point was where we both were (heaven) when the smacking was to happen. It was suppose to be a back handed compliment to you. You get use to having to explain your jokes and apparently, your compliments too.

Please tell me you didn't take me seriously about the Elvis suit either?

In more ways than you know.

Reply to
Todd

Seemed like the right moment to post that. Hey, I'm open minded. There are some Christians who are not Mormon. I'm willing to admit that some people who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) might be believers in Christ.

Mormons are a subset of a larger field called Christians, like Whoppers are a subset of a group called hamburgers on buns. Now, we have the chance to decide which is the true hamburger.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd been meaning to ask about the Elvis suit. Is that the required attire in "your" Heaven? Not sure LDS has mentioned that. Should I leave it in my will to be burried in one, or should I figure to find a second hand shop and buy one there? Maybe Elvis and Marilyn Monroe have been resurrected, and no longer need the suits?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

She's quite welcome to ask questions. Or you may, whichever is fitting. Hope they have my size of Elvis suit in Heaven. And a fitting room, and seamstress who don't stick me with pins.