GE Refrigerator problems !! Long

I have a GE Profile side by side refrigerator that is less than a year old. It has already been repaired once for water leaking from it. Now it has this horrible smell coming from the vent underneath the bottom front. It smells foul - like rotting food or really stinky cheese. There is definitely no smell coming from inside. I suspected the condensate pan but couldn't get the damn front off to access it. When I called GE they said it's not meant to be accessed and they sent a repairman out who was, shall we say, less than helpful. He said the smell was coming from lint and that I should vacuum it out and then place vanilla in the condensate pan. I am dead serious. He really said that. Instead, I vacuumed all the lint out from the back and cleaned the pan and everything I could access really well, but it really wasn't that dirty. And I confirmed that the smell is coming from the fan in the back that vents warm air out from under the bottom front of the fridge. He said there is nothing else to do. He say it's impossible that anything got in there (no food or anything else). I am not satisfied. There must be something else to find and eliminate the smell. Any ideas? Also, now the freezer door leaks water out onto the floor. Is this fridge just a lemon and should it be replaced?

Reply to
chatty

With that combination of symptoms, it sounds like you've got a clogged drain line under the evaporator.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Chatty,

Water coming out of the freezer door means the drain is blocked. When it flows freely, it ends up in the condensate pan and the fan drys it up between defrost cycles. Trying removing the drawers from the bottom of the freezer, locate the drain and blow it out with the other end of the vacuum cleaner. Some drains are hidden by interior panels and will require more skill to get at for cleaning.

Unplug the fridge to avoid electrocution.

Maybe some food or maybe a mouse got stuck in there. Mice look for water to drink and can get stuck in equipment. Dead mice smell bad.

Lint doesn't smell all that much. Vanilla is a mask for other problems. Electric motors can smell when burning up, but that's different. Sounds like a competant technician can fix it.

Try again.

Dave

Reply to
Dave L.

Than ask for a different technician to come look into it for you. You should even be able to call a whole different service company as there are usually multiple *factory authorized* service agents for each brand in any given area. Check the YellowPages under "Appliance, Major, Service" (or something to that effect). Be sure to ask if they're "factory authorized" and can do GE warranty work.

That means there is a problem somewhere in the appliance which will need to be looked into. They may even be related.

BTW. A number of other fridge manufacturers (not GE to my knowledge) have recently had problems with odors (usually smells like urine) actually coming from the condensate pan material itself. In those cases the pans themselves had to be replaced.

I doubt it (no more than any other GE product anyway) but replacement is between you and the dealer. Most manufacturer's warranties state something to the affect "We [the manufacturer] will repair or replace and *part* of the appliance which fails to function due to material or workmanship". I've never seen one where the manufacturer says they will replace the *whole* major appliance should a problem occur. If the selling dealer has a return policy, than they'll have to make that determination.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

This is turtle.

Did he pull the back cardboard cover over the fan and compressor area to inspect for dead rats or food in the area. If not he was a turkey. Unplug the box and pull it out to pull the cardboard cover off to inspect for food, dead animal, or mold and deposits. At this time feel of the compressor and fan motor and see if either one will feel too hot to hold your hand on it more than 5 seconds. If so there is something wrong. You should be able to hold your fingers on the fan motor or compressor for atleast 30 seconds before having to remove it. No you do know the refrigerator is to be unplugged at this time.

Now the water coming out the front of the refrigerator. you have a drain from the freezer area going to the pan underneath plugged up. Unplug the drain will stop this.

G/E and others have the cheapest bidder to do their service work that the industry has to offer. now you have seen it first hand in action and you don't have to be explain to you what I'm talking about.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Makes sense. I will check it out. Thanks!!

Reply to
chatty

Ok, what you've said makes a lot of sense! I looked for the drain line but it is in fact behind a panel. At least now when I call a different repairman, I'll have more to go on. As for the smell, I think you're right there as well, it's definitely food or a dead something. I'll get on the phone again! Thanks so much!

Reply to
chatty

Makes sense. I will call another company tomorrow.

I actually had a Frigidare refrigerator replaced (under warranty) within the first year because it never worked correctly. I'd be satisfied if they could get this one fixed however so I'm not necessarily looking for replacement, just a little jaded by bad past experience I guess. Thanks for your help!!

Reply to
chatty

I will try what you've suggested. Sounds like a plugged drain and dead animal are the consensus of the group. Thanks for your help!!

Reply to
chatty

This is Turtle.

If you open the back up. look around the fan blade area for dead mice. This is where they get killed by crawling through the fan blade housing and the fan turn on. It will pop them in the head and kill them. I don't do many refrigerators anymore but when I did this was the case. About 70% of the time when a customer saied there is a smell coming from under the refrigerator it would be a dead mouse killed by the fan blade. He sticks his head in a fan blade traveling at 1,550 RPM's and it takes them out.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I've seen the remains of squirrels which have gotten into a dryer's vent and been caught by its blower fan. That fan is much more powerful and often ends up totally dicing them.

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Let us know how you make out.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Will do. I have an appointment scheduled for next week.

Reply to
chatty

I was sure this was the problem. I opened the back and can't see any rodents or anything for that matter. I have an appointment with another repairman next week. Crossing my fingers they figure it out. The plugged drain sounds like it might be a factor. We'll see. Thanks again.

Reply to
chatty