BBC iPlayer

I have seen a message flash up several times today, to say only the basic BBC iPlayer will be available on my browser after July 2023. No hint as to what that means.

Reply to
jon

They think your TV is "too old", maybe consider a chromecast/firestick/roku instead?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Which browser?

Reply to
GB

I use a laptop with Opera as my main browser, it has worked faultlessly for years.

Reply to
jon

Sorry for reading it as TV, do you still use WinXP/7/8 or Win10/11 ?

Reply to
Andy Burns

However, it is being retired later this year, to be replaced by Opera One. Perhaps the two events are linked.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I am running Win10 2019 server.

Reply to
jon

Opera GX v69

Reply to
jon

It's not a supported browser. Your question about what will happen if you don't update your browser is answered here:

A list of supported browsers:

GB

OK thanks, I don't need any extra bells and whistles. I will wait and see what happens.

Reply to
jon

You get this on the pc as well. Some browsers and some web sites are now incompatible. It stinks and is basic laziness as this affects disabled people who only have speech on older browsers. It should be perfectly possible for them to direct you to a working old version simply from the cookie. However as we all know the BBC and others are no longer technical in any way, and they will swallow whatever the tech folk contracted to make the site tell them is the case. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

As a point in hand "Subscribe" on BBC Sounds just moves a programme into your "Subscribed" list. No more. You are plum out of luck if you want subscribed programmes to be automatically downloaded when available. (In exchanges with their "technical" team, I was asked if I thought that might be a useful feature ...).

And when you have a stack of downloaded episodes, good like with finding the one you want from the execrable display in Android Auto.

It's such a pisspoor "app" that it can only have been written by people who have shares in file sharing sites.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I was going to add the new Humax android box to that list but it costs more and doesn't support iplayer, C3, My5 or ItvX for some reason

Andrew