Sky HD Box faulty sound

As our old Sky HD box was giving us trouble my son gave us his old unit. He checked it before he had it couriered down to us here in Cornwall., and it worked fine.

I installed it yesterday and all was well except for the audio.

I can get sound on BBC channel 101, the BBC News channel a couple of the sports channels and the rest, nothing.

I rang Sky and they checked the viewing card etc and reported all was well. Still no sound, and so we have to have a Sky engineer call and check it over. They tried to charge me £60 and I refused, so after consultation with her superiors she came back to me and offered £30 which I accepted.

I just wondered if anyone on this NG has ever had a simillar complain with a Sky HD box, and any possible solution?

PeterF

Reply to
Peter

You could try a re-install. The method depends on the vintage of the box. It usually used to work for that sort of problem.

Probably:

1.Turn off the Sky box at the wall 2.Hold down the Backup button (on the front panel not the remote) 3.Turn on the Sky box 4.Hold the backup button down for 30 seconds 5.All the lights on the sky box will come on, release the backup button

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

As its only some channels its probably not a hardware fault.

Check it has the latest software as different channels may use different encoders and I have known that to cause problems if they change something and don't test it properly.

I don't remember how to update the software on a HD box as I only had sky+.

Reply to
dennis

could it be be a 2.0 vs 5.1 audio setting? Did the son have the box configured for a soundbar e.g. on SP/DIF?

Reply to
Andy Burns