Home Plugs

Are "home plugs", the things that provide ethernet over the mains wiring, point to point or point to multi point?

I may have requirement for two ethernet points that would be tricky to cable and I only have one free port on my LAN switch anayway. Will having one home plug attached to the switch and two more for the devices work?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Multipoint - I've got three!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Just an additional point that, briefly(!), caught me out recently; they must all be plugged into the same phase - not normally a problem in the domestic environment but a community hall...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

They also don't work well plugged into those extension leads with filters in them - aimed specifically at computer use!

Nor do they work through electric meters - at least the standard one I encountered in a sared residence where the landlors wanted to use them to provide braodband, but each room had its own meter...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Multipoint.

Yup. Alternatively you can get multi port homeplugs[1], or for that matter plug a conventional switch into a homeplug to add ports.

[1]
John Rumm

Thanks and every one else. Multiple phases or meters won't be a problem in this instance.

Ha a multiport one sounds good. I do have spare hubs/switches kicking about but that would require another wall wart to power it, even more spaghetti and (marginally) up the 24/7 power consumption.

Any recomendations, I'm a bit of a beliver in you get what you pay for but balance that against the markets tendancy to charge what people will pay!

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've bought all mine from Solwise

and if in stock have always arrived next day.

Customer support is good too.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

I think the latter case (not working through meters) is intentional and supposed to be one of the security features, as it prevents neighbours plugging in and eavesdropping on your activity.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Dave Liquorice :

I've used a few brands and the best has been Devolo, the 200 Mb/s variety. They've worked flawlessly despite having two extension leads and a 10-metre underground cable to contend with.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Yup - the link I gave you, I buy loads of them from there... they seem to do pretty well in independent reviews as well.

Note that link was to the 85Mbps version, they also do some 200Mbps versions designed to be able to cope with video streaming etc. Probably not worth it for ordinary shared internet access, but quite handy if you are going to move bulk data over the connection or do HD streaming.

Reply to
John Rumm

You can also add encryption as well if you want - although you need a windows machine to run the utility that turns it on (unless you use the push button setup ones).

Reply to
John Rumm

Similar problem some years ago with one of those FM (voice) intercoms that (supposedly) work via the electric wiring. Sometimes wouldn't work unless two outlets on the same circuit breaker etc.

There's also some nasty RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) on the power lines these days. Surprised the regulatory authorities allow it!

Reply to
terry

Go for the 200Mbps if you can. I've got a couple of ZyXEL 200Mbs homeplugs that I use to transfer backups to an NAS drive in a room away from my desktop (if they nick the desktop, hopefully, they won't go looking for the drive with the backups on it). It takes long enough at the higher speed, I wouldn't want to wait for the 85Mbps.

That would be up to 200Mbps, what speed does it actually run at? The homeplugs I had were running at about 10% of their rated speed so I ran cat5 to my shed and put the homeplugs on the shelf.

Reply to
dennis

Seconded about Devolo. I got so p****d off with Belkin wireless adapters I refused to buy anything Belkin and Devolo were next cheapest. They do what they say on the tin. Plugged 'em in (one connected to the router, one in kiddies bedroom) and the link just works straight away, absolutely no setup required. As has been said, you can then run a utility to enable encryption.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

"dennis@home" :

I think if you bank on 10% you won't be disappointed. But 10% of 200 is better than 10% of 85.

And sometimes speed isn't important. Here I use them for unattended overnight backups to a NAS drive in the garage. The backup never takes more than five minutes so I don't really care what percentage of 200Mbps that works out at.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I can't check as Zyxel haven't released Windows 7 compatible software for my version of the plugs yet, but it's reasonable to assume that it's faster than whatever the 85Mbps would run at and, say, 50% of 200 has got to be better than 50% of 85.

I don't think its that simple.. It is quite possible for an 85 Mbps one to run at 50 Mbps while a 200 Mbps one runs at less. It depends on the noise present on the line and the coding used.

Reply to
dennis

Similar thing here except I use Memeo and it backs the stuff up a few seconds after I save it.

Reply to
dennis

Another vote for Homeplug!!

BTW, What software to others use for auto backup. A recommendation for an freeware or very cheap (no bread winners in the household at the moment!) incremental backup package wanted please.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin