Home Plugs

It runs fine on win7 with the latest version 4.60.0.6554. I have three backups configured, one to the NAS and two to a couple of USB sticks. The NAS works on the fly, the other just run as soon as I put the stick in.

Reply to
dennis

Well if I were stating the bleeding obvious why does geoff always disagree? Come to think off it you disagreed with what I said too so it ain't that obvious.

Reply to
dennis

It will be for video streaming so thanks for the nod that 85Mbps won't really cut it. Streaming probably only direct from the 'net to begin with but if I can get the DNLA bit in the proposed new telly to some how see the server onto which HD iplayer downloads have been put it will have to stream HD. Not overly convinced that is possible 'cause of the DRM but maybe when iPlayer becomes available for all Freesat HD receivers that could be kicked into working from a NAS device rather than streaming. No way can you stream HD down a 4.5Mbps ADSL connection that I have, that's barely enough for SD.

Pity that the only multiport 200Mbps device I can find only has two ethernet ports and Wi-Fi but I guess that's for things like a Wii that only has Wi-Fi out of the box. Trouble is it's out of stock until 5/3/10.

I don't like the piggy, I think the mains leads all sticking out the top will just get in a tangle. I'd much prefer straight six or staggered 2 x 3 flat arrangement.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not sure that HD iPlayer is anything like real HD really - closer to DVD perhaps, but that only needs < 5Mbit/sec.

Proper HD, no. IIRC you need something like 16Mb/sec or more.

If I can find some HD content to experiment with, I can have a look at the network bandwidth it consumes.

Reply to
John Rumm

I snapshot all filesystems at midnight. That enables me to easily see yesterday's files, or the day before that, or any day back over the past 3 years as I've never yet deleted a snapshot. This handles recovery of files when needed. Most commonly I use it to recover yesterday's version of a file, but I also use it to review how and when I've changed a file over the last 3 years. Once, I did something across a whole filesystem which wasn't what I intended to do, so I simply rolled the whole filesystem back to yesterday's snapshot. Some colleagues snapshot their filesystems much more often; one does it every minute and when one of his kids says "daddy, I just lost my homework", he can retrieve it from a snapshot in seconds. (I think he's got his kids trained to do it for themselves now).

To cope with disk hardware issues, I run mirrored (RAID 1) disks.

To cope with site issues (e.g. house burning down), I periodically attach a 3rd mirror disk, let it resilver, and detach it and store it off-site. I keep a couple of disks for this which I cycle round.

All this is using just the basic features of ZFS, which is free. It won't run on Windows, but it is part of Solaris and FreeBSD, which are also both free. I run Windows in VirtualBox (also free) so it is in effect sitting on a ZFS filesystem anyway. If something happens to Windows which I don't like, such as a patch stops it from booting, again I just roll it back to yesterdays snapshot (or to an extra snapshot I took just before patching, or installing something new). Virtualbox also has its own built-in snapshot capability which you can use if you aren't running on a filesystem which supports snapshots.

Some of my applications also have their own custom backups, and duplicate their data off-site in realtime. However, that's a function of the application itself, not of the filesystem or backup software.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Normal video is less than 1Mbps if any compression is in effect.

I find it very adequate. Most TV is on about 250Kbps-1Mbps IIRC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why do they need software? Aren't they just ethernet connections?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

100Mbit ethernet chips are 100Mbit in each direction (assuming they negotiate full duplex), which is 200Mbit through a switch or router (or homeplug if it's capable).

The networking bus running over mains is probably half duplex (although I don't know the homeplug protocol so this is a guess), so it will need to ship 200Mbit to fully drive a pair of 100Mbit connected devices.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I thought the iplayer HD was only about 3M5. I download it anyway as it only takes about 8 minutes to download a 1 hour program in HD.

Reply to
dennis

have,

Might be that low on Freeview but that is definately unwatchable to my eyes.

What I've watched of streamed iPlayer is only just acceptable. I normally download and watch that on a tiddly, compared to a TV, LCD computer screen but it's still soft.

DSAT at around 3Mbps is better but still suffers some artifacts. DVD's run at 10Mbps (minus a tad) they are OK for SD. Broadcast HD has a similar data rate to DVD and suffers because of it, detail on an object disappears into a mush when the object moves, not it's not motion blur. Blu-Ray runs at 40Mbps, I've yet to seriously see Blu-Ray on a decent screen but when I first saw HD at the IBC in Brighton (that's shows how long ago that was, probably late 80's) it's was like looking through an open window.

Bear in mind that "out of the camera" SD is 270Mbps and HD 1.485Gbps.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks Andrew, did wonder , pity as usually regard the Reg as reasonably reliable source

actual standard is here, 200mbs physical layer, 150mbs data

obviously want next is Homeplug control, ethernet responsive sockets would be handy, came across one Taiwanese company making a HomeplugAV IP camera built into a pendant lamp socket, no other wiring needed...

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

It might have a HD tag but HD it ain't see my other post.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Proper HD yes, but the BBC HD has recently been reduced to 9Mb/s on Freesat, presumably as a precursor to introducing "HD" to freeview, with a bitrate more like what is needed for decent quality SD.

Reply to
<me9

yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They don't need software as such, however many have a monitoring and setup utility you can use to either check the data rates, and also enable encryption and set keys etc if you want. They work fine out of the box even if you never use this though.

They are...

Reply to
John Rumm

On iplayer they have reduced the streamed stuff to the point it is a pain to watch. If you use windows you can usually download a much higher quality copy. The HD copy is much better, but the use of adobe software is a real pain, my MCE machine (P4 3GHz) just doesn't have enough oomph to decode it even though it can cope with bluray using the ATI cards support.

I don't think any of the main channels run that slow. They do run using statistical multiplexing and dynamic bit rates these days on sat and DTT. BBC run at around 6M, sky sports up to ~20M. CH4 sat is odd because they run multiple regions all stat muxed together, however the programs are the same so see no benefit while the ads are different and do benefit from the stat multiplexing.

Have you seen a sky HD box connected by HDMI to a good TV? Even standard TV is significantly better than on a Sky box connected by SCART. Some hardware scalers are much better than others and they make a significant difference.

Maybe but that's RAW uncompressed and standard TV is PAL encoded which adds its own defects to the picture. Defects that you don't get on digital if the TV really is digital all the way through which isn't always true.

BTW ignore TNP if he thinks 1M is OK for TV he must be nearly blind. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

In article , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net scribeth thus

No doubt the ministry of disinformation formerly called the BBC will have us believing that its a new thing called "Virtual reality HDTV ;(.....

Reply to
tony sayer

What off the net, or off air terrestrial or via satellite?...

Reply to
tony sayer

I think you'll find those peak rates for DSAT rather than a "mean". Freeview mean rates are lower than DSAT and it shows badly.

Yes, in Tesco, believe it or not, to a 42" Panasonic plasma. Pretty good HD picture but still suffered noticable coding artifacts.

1.485Gbps.

True but that is the data rate you are starting with. To cram 270Mbps into standard TV is PAL encoded which adds its own defects to the picture.

Very little TV sees PAL these days, it's pretty much restricted to the analogue transmission format. I won't say none as I don't know if the PAL circuits linking Millbank are still in use.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Dave Liquorice scribeth thus

I remember seeing HD in monochrome sometime in the late 60's at the Pye TVT works, and that even then looked like a very well taken photo:)...

Makes you wonder why they do that seeing what they do with it afterwards;!...

Reply to
tony sayer