Home Plugs

I wrote my own. I back up to SATA disks in a USB/SATA docking station. Works well enough for my needs.

Reply to
Huge

To read the data transfer rates.

Also to encrypt the data if you wish.

Yes.

[Sensible stuff]

Now, there's a man who's read the Tao of Backup.

Huge

Don't forget the large number of STBs that are using PAL.

Reply to
dennis

8<

Every time you recode it you lose a bit, I had to transcode freeview and SDI to stuff that would go down an ADSL link (2M) and I can assure you that the SDI source was much better after encoding than the freeview one.

Reply to
dennis

:-)

Reply to
Mark

Ugh! I hate memeo. It backs up files /too/ quickly, often while the file is still being written!

My homeplug devices work at over 90% of their maximum speed BTW.

Reply to
Mark

Indeed. If it was the same year, I was 'driving' the PA in the main hall for much of the time. Thames TV's chief engineer had got pissed at a previous one committee meeting (it was alleged) and complained about the poor A/V handling - and said 'my boys will do it for you next year' The committee assumed this was for free...

So three sound and three VTR guys got sent down to make it all work smoothly. Sadly, they weren't involved in the planning of how it would be made to work so the supplied gear etc was less than ideal and not checked etc for operational use. And those who had 'planned' it weren't operators so had little idea of how to cover such an event. The gear had been begged and borrowed from all over. Luckily we had a rehearsal day, so I got in some help to take radio hand mics around the audience for questions etc. Four very pretty girls from some local modelling or whatever agency, who luckily learned very quickly. And did a return trip to London to pick up a big list of gear for everyone to make things go smoothly.

We'd been booked into a grotty B&B where breakfast consisted of a small packet of cereal and one cup of coffee. Not much use for TV types with a long hard day ahead. And my room couldn't be secured as it was a fire exit. The Thames TV delegates were staying in the Metropol. Needless to say things changed after the first night...

But as you say the HD demo was stunning. An eidophor (early high power electronic projector and fiendishly expensive) could project the electronic images onto the same cinema sized screen as a 35mm projector and slide projector etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Never seen that.

It depends on your house wiring, mine didn't work well at all when I tried to connect to my shed for "offsite" backup. They were OK in the house to connect to a print server.

Reply to
dennis

and it is exactly what I try and teach customers to do. I think I can tick every box on that, and it's bookmarked for future reference.

One thing I didn't mention, which is also covered in that, is that I run an integrity check 3 times a week, or in ZFS terms, a "zpool scrub". This reads all data from the disks (in the case of mirrors, from all mirror sides) and checks the blocks against the block checksums. (ZFS checksums every block on disk.) If it finds corruption, it automatically repairs it from the redundant copy (if there is one), or lets you know which file(s) are corrupt if you aren't running with any data redundancy.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

'"Master, I have lost all of my files. What shall I do?"

'The master said, "Do not despair, for yesterday I took one of your backup tapes and posted it to my brother in China. He will return it."

'It was only later that he told the novice that he had posted it by sea mail. '

Reply to
GB

Stop squirming.

If the decoded digital STB output is also available on the RF loop through. Many STBs don't have a modulator the only way to see the DTTV signal is via the RGB SCART. Yes composite might also be available there but I doubt it they'd have to put another 10ps worth of bits in to derive the composite from the RGB.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Didn't see it from an eidophor(*) but a massive as in 40 or 50" CRT on the Sony stand outside somewhere. I think it was the year the BBC had their Eureka(?) truck on display.

(*) Had seen eidophors in use, stonking power requirement IIRC 10kW+, but not visible in daylight like todays LED screens.

device dating back to the '40s.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Those who read the appropriate groups (like us ;-)) know just how difficult it is to get a FreeView box with an RF output. The majority don't have them.

And TVs with a composite only AV input must be rarer even than those with none.

FWIW I reckon all SCARTS have composite - even ones with RGB or S-Video. Or at least I haven't come across one without.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Blimey. Clever.

Reply to
Clive George

and took about a couple of hours to set up. Leastways thats how long the one we hired took..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Perhaps a different year? I can't remember which one it was. Could refer to old diaries if it was important.

They were similar in output to a 35mm projector. The monochrome versions were often used in TV studios for back projection etc. But this colour one was the only one I've seen before or since.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well they usually use composite for the sync. And if you are lucky the auto select will select RGB on the SCART. If it doesn't you get composite PAL.

Reply to
dennis