Home plugs across RCDs

Want to connect a PC upstairs with network downstairs without using wireless. The upstairs and downstairs circuits are on different ends of a split load fusebox with each end having its own RCD.

There seem to be conflicting reports of how Home Plugs would cope with this. Anyone got any first hand experience?

TIA for any ideas

Reply to
Invisible Man

Fairly sure you will have to have both ring mains on the same RCD for this system to work. Needs neutrals to be common.

Reply to
John Smith

Invisible Man :

Here I have Homeplug 1 - extension lead - ring main to consumer unit (MCB) - out through another MCB - underground cable to garage - another consumer unit with RCD and MCB - another ring main - another extension lead - Homeplug 2.

Not quite the same, I know, and it won't break any speed records, but it's been perfectly reliable for several years now.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Wouldnt be hard to fix it with a couple of little mains rated capacitors.

NT

Reply to
NT

They will still have a common neutral the other side of the RCDs. Or are you suggesting there is enough inductance in an RCD to filter out the RF? I'd always assumed it was the meter impedance which stopped the neighbours from stealing bandwidth.

I'm interested too because I use home plugs occasionally so that visitors can use laptops in unwired rooms, and I have a split load box to put in when I get round to it...

Reply to
newshound

newshound wibbled on Sunday 14 February 2010 23:00

Well, the neutral in an RCD goes through a current transformer and whilst that doesn't present a lot of inductance, the effective reactance at higher frequencies (like the homeplug carrier) *might* be significant.

It would be a case of suck it and see (or borrow a couple of units).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I might carry out an experiment later and confirm....

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, just did a test for you using a pair of Solwise 85Mbps home plugs.

Connection end to end was:

Computer 1 (3GHz P4 HT WinXP) ->

gigabit switch ->

homplug1 ->

IT cabinet radial circuit ->

House split load CU with B6 MCB ->

MK 100mA Type S RCD ->

Tails ->

Henley block ->

Outbuilding split load CU ->

MK 100mA Type S RCD ->

30A HRC Fuse ->

Cable run to workshop (20m) ->

Workshop split load CU ->

Incomer Switch ->

30mA RCD ->

B32 MCB ->

ring final circuit (approx 40m round trip) ->

homeplug2 ->

P3 600MHz laptop (Win2k).

Indicated speed on homeplug utility approx 19 Mbps

Real world test file copy at windows desktop managed a throughput of approx 700KBytes / sec so probably in the region of 8 - 9Mbit when you strip away the windows SMB overhead and TCP/IP etc.

A second test going to homplug2 placed on a B32 MCB on the 30mA RCD (Hager) of the house CU also reported the same connection speed. That would include 1 RCD and 2 MCBs in the path rather than 3 RCDs, 2 MCBs, and 1 HRC Fuse in circuit.

Hence I would guess the RCDs make little if any difference to throughput. MCBs however may have an effect - not yet verified.

Reply to
John Rumm

Many thanks for doing this John. I will get hold of some and see how it goes.

Reply to
Invisible Man