Are mains plugs ...

... dishwasher proof?

Like many of us, I have a big box of 13A mains plugs I've accumulated over the years. Most of them are pretty grubby. If I use one and it's going somewhere that matters, I clean it up in the sink with hot soapy water. But I was thinking "why not put the whole lot in the dishwasher?" (when the wife's not watching).

Reply to
Huge

Can't see why not ... as long as small bits of brass don't find a way to drop off and jam in pump/filters on your D/W.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just in case, put them in a bag (cotton, net etc) - or even an old sock (like the one you'll be hanging up for when Santa comes).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Andy Burns wrote in news:f9chlqF41gpU1 @mid.individual.net:

Do you really need them - or is keeping them an age related thing?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Huge expressed precisely :

No reason why not, providing they are thoroughly dry before use. I have often scrubbed them in the sink.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Excellent idea, thanks.

Reply to
Huge

Actually, I've used three this week!

Reply to
Huge

I put all sorts of things in the dishwasher. Most recently, a rusty hanging basket hanger, which came out nice and clean and ready for a fresh coat of paint.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

I have had bakelite attacked by dishwasher detergent. Probably depends on precise composition and the detergent.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I do have some bakelite mains plugs. But nowhere to plug them into since they don't have square pins ...

(They were for a cottage we used to rent in Scotland which hadn't been rewired in ... a while. Since it's now been demolished and it's too far to drive any more anyway, perhaps I should throw them away.)

Reply to
Huge

the plastic is. The brass half is, it does oxidise some but still works. Ideally remove the metal first. Rubber's ok too.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Remove any of those fibre type cord grips. I don't think they would like the dishwasher treatment.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Don't you shorten the mains lead to something like a TV that isn't going to move - if too long? But then not everyone has OCD.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The plastic parts, fine, but not sure what the metal bits will do. and in any case if it really more efficient than a hand wash?

Be aware that old plugs without shrouded pins are not a good idea in anywhere that might get wet. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Or sell them on Ebay as collectors items.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

LOL

Good point.

Reply to
Huge

much more

any mains plug isn't

Reply to
tabbypurr

they're still used for lighting sockets powered via wall switches, an increasingly common option. Plus there are collectors.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Hmmm. I've been toying with the idea of putting my paint rollers through the washing machine.

Reply to
jgh

do it, as long as they're not the cardboard core ones. Sometimes one can rehabilitate rock solid paint brushes by repeated dishwashing.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr