Re: Why are plywood plugs oval shaped?

Too_Many_Tools wrote in news:a6c0ec25-e3da- snipped-for-privacy@24g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Recently when I was working with plywood I again found myself > wondering why plywood plugs are oval rather than circular. > > Anyone know why? > > Thanks > > TMT >

If you're talking about the "footballs" they use in plywood repairs, my guess would be physics. A circular plug would be able to spin, while a oval shaped one would not. This eliminates one more dimension the plug is able to move, hopefully producing a slightly stronger joint.

It could also be that most repairs they need to make tend to be longer than they are wide. By using an oval shaped plug, they can give you more of the good grain and less plug.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I don't know about that one...

Reply to
B A R R Y

There is less waste. You have less waste from the material it comes from than if it was a circle. If they were square there would be even less waste. Additionally they can cover a wider area, perhaps 3 small defects in a line more easily than a circle with out having to be made too large.

Reply to
Leon

I seem to recall someone telling me it was all about grain orientation. The 'less waste' angle seems plausible as well.

Reply to
Robatoy

Cause it's in the standard. "Boat" veneer patches are described and have a maximum dimension, length, width and end radius in the standard for manufacturing plywood.

Please don't ask me how the standard became the standard.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

So that it fits in the oval hole.

Cam

Reply to
Cam in Toronto

Bananas are bent so they fit in the peel for the exact same reason.

Reply to
Robatoy

RE: Subject

Everybody/everything gotta be someplace so they fit in.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Now I'm curious how the standard became the standard. You insiduous bastard!!

cselby

When the Romans invaded Spain, the Spanish were making plywood from Spanish Cedar. All of the plugs were oval because the Moors had not yet invaded Spain and given the circle to the Spanish. The Romans took the oval plug home and it became the Roman Army Standard for plywood plugs. And, just as with the guage of railroads, the Roman Army standard is in effect to this day.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Bananas are bent because someone forgot to finish the back side and they warp.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Bananas are bent so they fit in the peel for the exact same reason.

They created straight bananas. No bend, no curves. They fit into shipping crates better and they could pack more of them into each box. That didn't last long. Nobody bought the bananas. People are funny that way. They want a curved banana, not a straight one.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

There are certain uses to which a curved banana is better suited.

Reply to
J. Clarke

A real bugger getting straight bananas to grow in bunches. The bunches look like big pine comes.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

That's CONES, sorry.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Now, *that* was good!

Reply to
C & E

Too late.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thank you, Cliff, for that insightful explanation. So, Norm, how's Vera been treating you?

Reply to
JKevorkian

Of course! I knew there had to be a simple and plausible explanation.

Reply-to address is real John

Reply to
John

It's not as unlikely as it sounds. The Romans did know how to make plywood--they used it for their shields.

Reply to
J. Clarke