Bathroom mirror light with shaver socket

I'm after a light with a shaver socket incorporated, to go over the mirror above the hand basin in the bathroom. But AIUI the shaver socket has to be connected via an isolating transformer. Plenty of lights with shaver sockets on Amazon, for example, but so far I've not found mention of the socket being isolated. Are they all isolated these days, so it goes without saying and they just don't bother to mention it, or do I have to keep looking?
--

Chris

On 30/07/17 10:01, Chris Hogg wrote:

should think they are all isolated
its shoes.

No definitive answer here, but, having been looking for the same thing, it appears that any socket described as 'bathroom' must have an isolating transformer in the UK, so yes, my reading is advertisers just don't bother to mention it.
--
Graeme

TLC have several. Probably better to look at a UK source since many countries don't require an isolating transformer.
They do tend to be quite pricey, though.
--
*'Progress' and 'Change' are not synonyms.

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 10:01:04 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

We have a mirror with a light built in and a shaver socket.
Lights the mirror from behind which is good for putting on your makeup.
Probably from TLC.
Works quite well but the shaver socket shutter is getting very uncooperative.
Cheers
Dave R

On 30/07/17 10:01, Chris Hogg wrote:

One clue could be mention of 115V/240V outputs, which would indicate a transformer inside to do that.
--
Adrian C

Yep - if it's 240V output only, it won't have an isolating transformer.
Also, the transformer is bulky and heavy - inless it's a big light, there simply won't be room for it inside.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Not true in the case of mine ...
<https://www.illuminated-mirrors.uk.com/bathroom-mirrors/shaver-led-mirrors.html

Nor mine. It's built into an illuminated mirror, 240V only and there's a dedicated isolating transformer for it. I know this because I had to take the mirror to pieces to mount it.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 65th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 30/07/2017 13:44, Huge wrote:

To be pedantic - and for the benefit of those dwelling in mansions - I think it doesn't now have to have an isolating transformer, even in a bathroom, if it's more than 3m from the boundary of zone 1 :)
--
Robin

On a literal reading perhaps. But a bathroom with a non-isolated two pin switch inviting the connection of a piece of personal grooming equipment would not be a good idea in my opinion, even if yards away from the bath. (Though I note with approval that my electric toothbrush has a double insulated inductive charger.)
--

Roger Hayter

On 30/07/2017 13:57, Robin wrote:

Correct.
--
Adam

On 30/07/2017 13:18, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

My shaver point says 230V on it.
I did have a look down the sink plug hole for the missing 10V but I could not find it.
--
Adam

Probably more that if it is 110/240 it will likely have a transformer. Although perhaps not certain these days.
I've seen transformer ones with only a 240v output.
But are they still needed it the circuit is RCD protected?
Mine is never used as I went to a cordless razor. I fitted some sockets inside the cylinder cupboard for all the various chargers to avoid having clutter beside the wash basin. They are RCD protected. That cupboard also contains the PS for the cordless phone and the amp for the sound system. Regs don't seem to have kept up with what many have in a bathroom these days. ;-)
--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Well the EU managed to ban wall mounted chargers for electric tooth brushes according to Oral. ( I should still have the email somewhere).
--
bert

Thanks all, especially DP for pointing me to TLC. I plan to get one of these: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLSH18.html dual voltage, IP44/IP21, and it actually states it has an isolating transformer.
--

Chris

On 30/07/2017 10:01, Chris Hogg wrote:

"Over the mirror"? When I shaved, I fitted an (incandescent) strip light *below* the mirror, to provide illumination below my chin.
--
Max Demian

I have dressing room 'makeup' mirror lights both sides of the mirror. Using golfball bulbs. I rather like the look of them - and plenty light to shave by.
--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

I'd hope they are all isolated as I've not come across one that was not, indeed some even come with usb charger sockets as well. Brian
--
----- -

They're not. You might want to fit one in a bedroom etc not near water. So no need for an isolated one there - as they are more expensive. Indeed some used to supply identical looking units - one with transformer, one not.
--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places