R. Cott. 17

Installing the underfloor heating has neared the top of the jobs list.
Despite much reading of suppliers PDFs and head scratching there are still areas of uncertainty:-)
Current thinking for the screeded area is to use self adhesive clip rails over the Celotex foam. Spacing between rows seem to vary from 750mm to 2.0m depending on source. Question for the chemists... what is the surface coating on the aluminium foil? Cleans off readily with acetone and accepts the supplied tape readily but *duct tape* needs it cleaned off first.
Floor heating suppliers provide a thin foam perimeter sheet to provide expansion space for the screed but Celotex show an upstand of PIR foam to insulate perimeter walls. Do I use both?
There may be more to follow...
--
Tim Lamb

On 30/07/2017 10:17, Tim Lamb wrote:

Have you looked at the staple fixing options? You can get a long arm device that sticks staples into the floor (without needing to bend etc) to hold the pipes in place.

How resilient is the foam they suggest?
(there is some, but not much give in PIR foam when the load is distributed over a wide area)
--
Cheers,

John.

Yes. Travis Perkins hire out the tool at ?21/week. The recommended Celotex has a multilayer surface to provide a more reliable fixing. My supplier could not promise a reasonable delivery as PIR insulation deliveries from Celotex have suddenly become unreliable. I'll probably go with clip rails at 1m and shove in some intermediate clips and at the bends.

Not very! Light finger tip pressure would flatten it.

OK. Double up for the perimeter walls and foam only for the partitions. My longest run is 8m which is the threshold for expansion joints although I could hide one at a doorway.

--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

RRP £343.79 !!
On 30/07/17 21:27, Tim Lamb wrote:

Why are ytou using celotxe fore floor insulation? Unless its first floor, everyone else uses polystyrene...
Dont knock yourself out about how to locate the pipes. Anything that will stand presurising and then screeding or concrete floating will do. Meat skewers and tie wraps os probably good enough.
On the new builds here they simply pushed plastic staples in by hand.
Edge expansion is unimporatnt, as long as there is one.
--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of

Good question. Specified by architect in building reg. plans. Should have been GA3000Z but hard to get locally.

:-)

OK

Right.
I was curious about the glue issue when I found duct tape would not reliably attach to offcuts I was assembling for machine cutting.

--
Tim Lamb