R. Cott. 30

Vinyl flooring... lots of 2.8mm thick stuff on the J. Lewis site however, the acrylic glue they offer is said to be unsuitable for underfloor heating.

Any alternatives and does it need to be glued? The floor is carefully laid 18mm chip with glued joints and is a small area (1 to 2m wide).

The skirting is not yet fitted so I can leave an expansion gap.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What kind of vinyl were you thinking about? Traditional "cushion floor", or the so called "luxury Vinyl Tiles" (e.g. Karndean, Amtico et al)?

Big sheets of stuff can be left floating. The tiles generally need to be glued, however there are some that click together and have a non slip rubber backing that can be loose laid. (e.g. Karndean's Paleo Click, and Looslay ranges)

Reply to
John Rumm

The requirement is for bathroom flooring, hence the relatively small areas.

With visiting grandchildren there is no guarantee of keeping the floor dry so I thought continuous vinyl off a roll worth a check.

I already have 3mm of foam underlay beneath the chipboard so inclined to steer away from cushion flooring or anything that adds to the thermal resistance.

I can run an orbital sander over the chip if advised but there are no visible lumps/bumps and certainly no fixings!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I just fitted some Karndean floor in a small ensuite (smallish room approx 2x3.6m). Used an oak effect planking. I have been very pleased with it - it looks good, does not feel cold under foot, and does not get slippery when wet. (it also seems like a pretty tough and durable surface).

I was doing it over a boarded floor, and so started with 5.5mm WBP ply screwed down on a 6" grid, then used a feathering compound on that.

For laying on chipboard the normal advice seems to be to give it a thin coat of latex self levelling compound first, then fix the floor directly to that. The one I used needed to be glued - but its also very close fitting so it seems unlikely that water will get past the vinyl let alone the adhesive or the sub floor.

Reply to
John Rumm

Reading on I see its for a bathroom... why not just loose lay and then go round washbasin, WC, whatever with sealant? At walls you could use the skirting boards to secure ends down (leaving some expansion as it will 'stretch' over time)and then go round those joints too with sealant.

It'll be much easier to replace too when a 'redecoration' is demanded by the Boss.

Reply to
Mark Allread

This is my direction of travel:-) Basically looking for support/experience.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

This is very much the full works advocated by the professional team engaged for the hall and kitchen diner. Herringbone vinyl laid over latex. I think they want the floor at 15 deg. C which is quite an ambition as the boiler is not yet installed!

I think I'll try the sheet vinyl and skip the glue. Tucking the edges under skirting/bath surround etc.

If it creases I can rip it up easily and try again.

Reply to
Tim Lamb