Change to usage conditions for shaver outlet in 17th Edition

I haven't yet purchased a copy of the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations, although this is in the shopping basket for my next Amazon order.

However, I am doing first fix wiring for my cloakroom project, wherein I am adding a shaver outlet, principally for charging small portable items like trimmers and nose trowels.

The room has a basin and lavatory only.

AIUI, there is no issue of location in terms of zones, but just wanted to check that that remains the case.

Secondly, there is the issue of supply to the shaver outlet.

The outlet manufacturer specifies circuit protection at 6A max. but doesn't indicate supply source. I can't find a specific reference in

16th Edition either.

I have the choice of supply from the lighting circuit (6A MCB) or a spur from a ring final circuit with FCU into which I can insert 5A fuse and connect the shaver outlet to that.

Is there anything in 17th Edition that would limit my choice or is there anything in 16th that I may have missed?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oh, is it out already? Better grab a copy as well then....

So it is not a "special location" then...

True for 16th edition[*], can't speak for 17th.

[*] with the obvious caveat of the requirement that accessories be appropriate for the location they are installed in - so an inch directly above the sink would not be wise.

Either would be acceptable (as would a FCU in the ring rather than on a spur). I did mine from the lighting circuit, but only because it was shaver socket built into a shaving light, and it was more convenient to take a feed from the lighting circuit.

Nothing in the 16th that I can think of. I am sure Andy can answer the other bit! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm