Recording from Panasonic smart TV

My elderly neighbours have recently bought a new TV. Inevitably these days, I suppose, it was 'smart'. It's a Panasonic TX-40FS500B. They are struggling with it.

I don't know what they had before, but whatever it was, they had it fronted by a BT PVR, connected via a SCART cable. The new TV doesn't have a SCART socket, and the chap who brought it (from the company who's name sounds like a popular Indian food) said they couldn't use the BT box any more. But they were used to using that box, especially for making recordings, and the aforementioned chap said all they needed was a memory stick, which they bought, which they told me didn't work.

I reconnected the BT box via the Component (red/white/yellow) sockets and cable (which is what the installer chap should have done), and it all worked perfectly OK, except that they must have forgotten how they used it before, because they kept getting muddled (he was 90 last week). So I went back to the memory stick, and no, it didn't work. The message that came up was along the lines that it was not compatible, or some such, and that it needed an HDD. Another black mark to Mr Indian food for suggesting the stick.

OK, so I dug out an old HDD, complete with caddy and power supply, from my computer-bits box and fitted that up for them. Worked a treat. They could now put away the BT box and just use the record function of the TV when they wanted to record a programme.

Or so I thought. They now find that when the TV is recording a programme, they cannot watch anything other than that programme at the same time, which is rather limiting, to put it mildly. Looking in the e-manual, it says 'no other channel can be selected while timer recording is in progress'. My interpretation of that is that means they can't record one programme while watching another, even on the same MUX.

Is that really the case? Is this 'smart' TV really so stupid that it can't do what PVR's have been able to do for a decade or more? Or have I misunderstood, and is there a way to record one programme using an external HDD while watching another, on this Panny TV?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Pretty sure SCART to HDMI is trivial

and the chap who brought it (from the company

And sayiung they coukldnt use the box direct with a converter cable

Sounds right

Nope. Go back to the old box and get an HDMI cable

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 13/07/2019 15:44, Chris Hogg wrote: [snip]

The smart refers to its ability to connect to the internet, run apps, and stream media. Not to the number of tuners it may have.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Or even the CPU grunt to acually handle two streams at once.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Our LG supposedly smart TV is the same. It wont even let us watch something via the satellite channels whilst recording from a terrestrial channel or visa versa!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Thanks for the replies. It looks as though they're stuffed: either they put up with just the facility for recording something when they're out, for example, or if they want to watch it a second time, or alternatively going back to the BT PVR and getting used to using it again.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

My new Samsung only has one tuner. Which is why I hang on to the Humax which has two more. I admit I do keep a (fast) memory stick in the TV too, because you can only set up or view Humax output by having that switched on and connected via HDMI. So if you want to go to bed (or the door rings) it is relatively quick to record what you have been watching.

With catch-up streaming options the Humax is less necessary (although useful for skipping the adverts).

The "tech" is providing some benefits to old farts as well as these frustrations, though. I look forward to the days when the kids can programme appointments into my Google Calendar, and make the phone/tablet bleep at me in good time to remind me.

Reply to
newshound

Chris Hogg expressed precisely :

It would need an additional tuner, for each additional channel they wanted to record. Mine has sat and terrestrial tuners, but I have not checked if it can record sat, whilst watching terrestrial - I suspect I cannot. It can record to a stick, but a stick is not as useful as an HDD, so I use a small USB powered HDD. I think the restriction is one of being able to pause and replay live TV.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

wrong no more than 5 multiplexes are receivable so 5 tuners tops

Mine has sat and terrestrial tuners, but I have not

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Many USB flash drives are too slow for real time recording - an in particular can suffer unexpected delays as they are forced to trim and overwrite flash pages.

This seems fairly common for TVs. Its best to think of the ability to connect a drive as a way of pausing live TV and other trick play, rather than a full blown recorder.

PVRs normally have at least two tuners.

Probably not.

A modern PVR or better still a network enabled tuner are better ways to go - although may not meet the ease of use requirements for the owners.

Reply to
John Rumm

Our living-room TV is a Smart one, but only because of a good deal that meant that I could get a 4K Smart TV for only £15 more than a normal

1080p/i, non-Smart one. So far we've never used it in that way except for Netflix, as it was first connected to a Humax FVP-4000T (that is no longer used, although still connected), a blue-ray player (with some Smart functions) and an Amazon Firestick. Later we added, as our main box, a Technomate TM-Twin OE running OpenVix Engima2.

It seems far more sensible to have the Smart functions in the attached boxes, so that you are not limited to what the TV manufacturer provides; aren't subject to them removing or reducing functionality when updates are installed or they change or close their "portal"; and can upgrade functionality by a box change rather than a TV change.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

If you have enabled CEC, so the attached box can turn the TV on and off, select the right imput automatically and control the volume and just use the TV as a display and speakers for your box, you never need to touch the TV remote and it is just as simple to use the box as to use the TV directly, but with far more flexibility.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

My telly demands you format the memory stick using the telly.

Playing recordings on my Samsung telly is far too awkward to bother with.

Reply to
Pamela

I have two smart TVs and another one connected to a smart box.

The smartmess means they can see my DLNA server and the 600 odd videos stored on it. They hardly ever view the Internet as the interfaces are appalling

In addition I have two computers and a smart phone all of which are capable of accessing the server with the videos on it which also has a TV tuner and acts as a central DVR and will live stream a channel on the same mux to the computers and smart phones if requested.

This has reduced the numbers of boxes and controllers enormously.

I have no CD players, no DVD players, no radio tuners.

Everything is on the server. The TVs are just clients to it.

The Raspberry Pi internet radio/ripped CD player is just another client too.

All I need to do now is turn the mobile phone into a remote control for the tellys..and I can throw away the controllers too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hadn't thought of that. It would simplify things for them, not having to have two controllers that look almost identical, one just for turning the TV on and off. I'm sure that was where their problems originated when I'd set it up with the PVR.

I'll investigate further. Thanks.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes this sounds like an old model syndrome to me. Smart only means it can get on the internet it seems. It does not mean its a pvr. Also if its a smart TV made in the last five years it also has audio guidance for its menus as well which a lot of older people like, since it reminds them of the functions. Might be worth turning it on. If it gets annoying well it can be turned off, but Panasonic were one of the first in this market to do it along with single button AD. That can be very handy for people who want to carry on following a program while in the kitchen putting the kettle on so I'm told. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Same with my recently bought LG. The 'record one watch another' wasn't available on any of the LGs I looked at, but was on some of the near £2k Samsungs.

With so much available now on catch-up I can do without it.

Reply to
RJH

Brian Gaff formulated the question :

My new LG was made in the last two years and I don't think it has audio guidance.

It does have AD, which I tested briefly out of curiosity - I can imagine it being useful for some people.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

RJH pretended :

It is very much the case, that if you miss it today, it will be reshown again tomorrow - failing that, you can watch it on catchup at a time which suits you.

I was surprised by how well the voice control works on the LG, likewise the voice control via Siri on the Iphone.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If you're still within the window of it being on catch up...

Flippin' 'eck the telly is bugging your living room as well now? Where does it send your voice commands to be converted? Seems that "they" want to know every single detail of our lives. 1984? Parnoid? Moi?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice