USB storage for TV recording

I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content from my smart TV - works fine.

I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work

- anybody any experience of something that does, preferably thumb drive type form factor?

Reply to
RJH

I've one in the Sammy but the recording is unreliable - recording the lectures at Christmas as a series managed only one. Can't remember the make of drive; it's 64GB and no longer made. You might be better sticking with the HDD.

Reply to
PeterC

Presumably an SSD as opposed to a USB 'stick' would work as it will appear to be a 'disk drive' as opposed to a 'memory stick'. You can certainly get SSDs (well, things that call thenmselves SSDs) which are pretty close in size and shape to a USB 'stick'.

Since they're actually basically the same technology it's all a bit silly really, but how you *tell* whether something is really a 'disk drive' as opposed to a 'memory stick' without buying it and trying it I don't know. The USB memory stick market is rife with fake devices.

Reply to
Chris Green

I don't record direct to external storage device. I record on computer and copy over. There is no problem what external device I use, providing it can play back fast enough.

Reply to
sid

You don't say what make of TV. I used a 64gb stick in our LG before upping to a portable drive.

Have you looked here:

Richard

Why not?

they seem to exist.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's a fairly recent LG OLED

Thanks - looks useful.

I don't think it needs to be /that/ fast - the TV only has USB2 sockets so far as I can tell (no mention in the manual and they're not blue, as I think USB

3s are). But as I say, USB sticks I've got don't work - just wondering if anyone has used one successfully.
Reply to
RJH

When I try to record to it, the TV returns an 'unsuitable device' message.

Yes, there are claims that they should. Not much actual in-use stories that I can see.

And I have my doubts about the one linked - 10TB for £40?!

Reply to
RJH

I thought it was 500GB for £40

MM,. probaly a memory staick This is more believable

The Natural Philosopher

They mostly can't keep up with the higher write rate and are lumpy about the write rate they can keep up with.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I don't think it's the speed, it's because a 'USB stick' presents to the TV as something different from a 'USB disk drive'. The TV wants a disk drive.

Reply to
Chris Green

Exactly! As I keep saying a 'USB stick' looks different in some way from a 'USB drive' even though they are fundamentally the same thing.

So you need a device that presents itself as a 'USB drive' rather than as 'USB memory'.

Reply to
Chris Green

RJH formulated the question :

I have three LG's and tried USB sticke and no they don't work - I ended up fitting 3x USB powered HDD drives, which works perfectly.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I can think of three things that might be different:

The USB stick might present itself as 'removable' storage, while the HDD doesn't. I'm a bit doubtful of that because the usual use of 'removable' is CDs/DVDs, where you have a tray you can 'eject' to change the medium. That doesn't apply to a USB stick, where you simply unplug the whole drive.

Also, I understand some TVs have minimum size limitations. A 32/64/128GB USB drive might not work, while a 250/500/1000GB HDD does. The only way to find out is to try a suitable large device. If you don't have one, I suppose you could try an old 60GB or 120GB HDD in a USB caddy (if you have such a thing) and see if it's accepted.

Finally, another thing is if the stick is strangely formatted/partitioned in the way the TV doesn't like. I might try zapping the partition table and making a single empty FAT32 partition on an MBR partition table, and then asking the TV to reformat it. That way the TV is unlikely to be confused by the Windows recovery partition or whatever was left on there before.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

My Samsung needs a fast USB drive. It insists on testing it before recording for the first time, but if it passes it is perfectly reliable.

Reply to
newshound

Just because a stick can be plugged into a usb2 or usb 3 port it doesn't mean that the speed of the stick matches what the port is capable of delivering.

Many PVRs HDDs are formatted to Ext3/4 rather than FAT32 etc.

Reply to
alan_m

The USB config space either indicates RMB=0 or RMB=1 . (Search for the section with RMB in it, here.)

That is the "Removable Media Bit".

USB used to be pretty consistent at one time, that they were always removable.

But a few Sony sticks, started shipping with the RMB bit set the other way. Thus the Sony could be mistaken for a hard drive type device, behind a USB interface.

There's really no way to predict, what some manufacturer will do. What they do, doesn't have to make sense.

*******

I would pair one of these...

with one of these...

That is what I use in the room here, for odd jobs.

I don't have any fancy TVs, so cannot comment on that aspect.

The purpose of my choice in this case, is to avoid storage devices loaded with QLC flash memory. That SSD at least, doesn't have QLC in it. It has a fairly decent TBW rating.

It's possible to get some AData NVMe devices, with a 12000 TBW rating. They're intended for Chia farming, and have Micron Enterprise flash chips on them. But if you stick one of those in an adapter (an NVMe "tray"), there is a real good chance they will draw too much power from the USB port on the TV set. The TV set may be limited to 500mA at 5V. The 860 Pro, when reading at 3MB/sec, is unlikely to draw quite that much. But again, I don't have the USB power meter to make the measurement. If I use a clamp-on meter and connect the SSD via SATA to the PC, then the power can rise because it's being read at 400MB/sec.

Part of the "selection job" then, is not to snag something with excessive power consumption. Maybe an 850 Pro would use slightly less power, but then there might not be any stock of those, and the TBW is half of the 860 Pro.

TBW is Terabytes Write, a measure of 3000 writes per cell or so.

While you can solve some power problems, by using a powered USB hub between the TV set and the storage device... that's a lot of "junk" for a living room setting. Nobody is going to like your taste in hardware if you do that.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

There's nothing wrong with that advert.

That thing is an NVMe enclosure, with a USB to NVMe adapter chip inside. The advert is telling you, that you could stick an NVMe module with

10TB of flash on it, in the enclosure. As if...

Since it has a USB-C connector, when connected to a real computer with USB-C, there is likely to be enough power to run an NVMe module.

The NVMe module is a separate purchase.

As received, the adapter has no NVMe drive included.

NVMe adapter trays are available at 1000MB/sec and 2000MB/sec. When operated with a Type A adapter cable, a 2000MB/sec one can only run with one of its interfaces, and goes at 1000MB/sec. The 1000MB/sec one only runs at 1000MB/sec if you "use a quality cable". I've seen complaints about USB3.2 Gen2 not liking some cabling.

If you select something a little less "bleeding edge" than that, who knows, maybe the power dissipation won't be 17 watts :-)

One of the dangers with things like USB2 ports on TV sets, is there isn't enough power to run every USB toy you can think of. The TV set could be quite gimped.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

This is what I see in Windows, for the various device types. This used the "wmic diskdrive" command to generate a table of storage devices.

CapabilityDescriptions Caption {"Random Access", "Supports Writing", "SMART Notification"} ST4000DM000-2AE166 <=== Internal SATA {"Random Access", "Supports Writing"} ASMT 2115 SCSI Disk Device <=== Ext SSD on USB3 cable {"Random Access", "Supports Writing", "Supports Removable Media"} SanDisk Extreme USB Device <=== Conventional 64GB USB3 stick

Paul

Reply to
Paul

It skates on very thin ice, IMO. Only once does the word "enclosure" appear in the listing, yes from the price it's obvious it's *only* an exclosure, but the advert is there to reel-in mugs.

In what way is it "solid state", just because it isn't made out of gas or liquid?

Why have 10 prices according to the supposed capacity from 0.5TB to 16TB ?

Reply to
Andy Burns