USB storage for TV recording

It doesn't have moving parts.

Reply to
charles

I have a solid state drive in a caddy connected to my LG TV. It works faultlessly.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Rogers

Just as an aside when we upgraded to SkyQ there were a number of recordings I had on the old HD box which it was not possible to copy over to the new box. I still have the old box and was wondering if I could remove the disk and copy the recordings to my PC. What I do not know is if the recordings are encoded and require a Sky card to access, I have posted on a Sky user site but did not get a helpful answer?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Recording videos needs a fast drive. You are looking at something over

5Mbps minimum.

If this cannot be achieved then to avoid customer complaints its easier to reject the drive.

You can generally get write speeds off manufacturer's web sites or test :-

The Natural Philosopher

That's the Rolls Royce solution...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A stick was fine for recording on my LG but would not support pause which I find a most valuable feature so have a portable HD instead (spinning).

I'm not sure of the benefits of swapping to an SSD. Better utilised to improve boot up times of Win10 etc IMHO.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Positive - it doesn't care about shock and vibration, up to the limits of any connectors used. Doesn't have a 1 ampere spinup current requirement of a 2.5" hard drive.

Negative - Flash memory has limited write cycles. Might record continuously for around ten years or so with an 860 Pro before the 600TBW are exhausted.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

"When you record sky encrypted channels they are stored on the sky box still encrypted and when you play them back on the sky box it used your sky card to decrypt them. So if you were to cancel your sky subsciption you would not be albe to watch movies you had previously recorded. Likewise, if you move the files to a PC you would not normally be able to watch them if they are encrypted as you need your sky card to decode them. That's why people normally record the output signal onto a PC etc and not the raw files as a few [posts] have mentioned."

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I'm sure some of the more recent thumb drives will work if formatted correctly. It needs to be fast though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Or minimal spec ones that cn be quite slow. Try one from a well known make like Kingston. I'm sure a friend had one but it was not cheap. I myself do not like ssds that look like a chip, I had one on my motherboard and it died from getting too hot. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Is it a Samsung TV?

We have a Samsung Smart TV. It accepts a hard drive but, as I recall, not a USB memory stick. I also discovered the file system it uses isn?t a common / normal one - ie a Windows or Linux or Mac system won?t even recognise it, let alone read it. I wonder if USB sticks can only handle common file systems. Perhaps Samsung use some technique the hardware can?t handle.

Reply to
Brian

Mine is a Samsung. If I put stills or video on my (fast) USB stick from the computer, the TV displays them without complaint. It uses the same drive to save "recordings" but IIRC you can't "see" them on a Windows machine.

Reply to
newshound

Eh ?. not sure I understand. Do you mean an ?M2 SSD ?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I used Samsung 1 GB SSDs on my Samsung TV they worked but not 100% reliable and both failed after about a year (within warranty tho') . So gave up and bought a Humax box .

Reply to
Robert

I just have a TV dongle plugged into my server

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I use a conventional hard disk, one of those small 3.5? portable ones. I don?t recall it ever failing. That said, as I can?t read the files via a computer and therefore transfer to my media player, I tend to use one of our other TVs which record in a format I can readily read / transfer.

I?ve also got a ?VBox?, essentially a networked tuner / recorder. You can access it via a computer, tablet, etc, watch and record TV. Mine is a Freeview version but there was a Sat version available.

Reply to
Brian