usb storage device for LG TV.

Still struggling to replace the switching transistor for the aerial input feeds on my Toppy:-( Surface mount in a limited access space.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Can you cut the legs with a small pair of cutters?

Reply to
Fredxx

In message snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes

Oops. Posted before finished!

My hard drive is nearly full anyway so mostly I am just re-watching recorded stuff.

Pressing the record button on my TV remote tells me I need to install a usb storage device.

Any recommendations/advice?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We have a cheap and cheerful:

It sits in an empty tissue box as the flashing LED was annoying.

Works fine and I've dumped loads of photos, music and videos on it as well.

Note - you can only record the program you are watching - your TV doesn't have dual tuners I assume.

You can't watch the recordings on any other TV, even an identical LG.

What we use it a lot for is pause, rewind etc. Fortunately our Toppy is still working.

Reply to
AnthonyL

AnthonyL formulated the question :

Or record when the set is otherwise off. I was a bit dissapointed by that lack of a second tuner, I wonder if you can record from sat, whilst watching Freeview? I never tested that possibility yet.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

possibly you can record other programmes on the same mux as the one you're watching.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org>, AnthonyL snipped-for-privacy@please.invalid writes

:-)

I was expecting that but needing to leave the TV switched on is a drawback.

OK

I'm a bit nervous of getting the transistor changed as the fault coincided with the masthead amplifier issue.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Sorry mate, we just haven't been out in the car since we last spoke and certainly not that far / direction. ;-(

If there was a day that looked like it wasn't going to rain and I bought my gear and folding table, I'd just need an extension lead in your back garden and the Toppy for a socially distanced repair. ;-(

<snip>

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Is this what it looks like?:

T i m

Any memory stick will allow you to record/replay. A HDD is needed if you want to record/pause the current program.

We have a 64Gb memory stick. It fills up but if we haven't watched it by then it gets deleted.

Reply to
Andrew

Tim Lamb expressed precisely :

The LG only needs to be on standby, at the appropriate time it will switch just the tuner on and record the program - or at least my LG does.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

How come the thread is called storage device but the message is about a topfield box. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Also beware if you use a spinning rust HDD on a TV in a bedroom - they have a habit of waking up at various times and that will spin up the HDD for a few mins and then shutdown, which can be loud enough to be distracting in a quiet room.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message <ri5rit$481$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield <?.?@harrym1byt.plus.com.invalid> writes

Ah. OK

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Can't say I've noticed that with my desk top. Mind, my hearing is not

100%.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> writes

This wasn't a complaint! My only experience of delicate outdoor soldering was on top of a London high rise office block. The window cleaner's platform hoist had lost an a/c switch. The pre-thermostatic soldering iron kept cooling off in the breeze:-(

Q14 is the kiddy. I also bought some 2N4404 as they come with legs but, even sharpened to a point, my tackle is too clumsy.

You could be as distant as you like in the old garage:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message <ri5tgg$h7n$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, "Brian Gaff (Sofa)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

You need the second attempt for the rest of the story.

Reply to
Tim Lamb