Ship Of Theseus?

Had to look that one up.

The same idea as my grandfather's yard brush which has had 4 new heads and 3 new handles but is still the same brush!

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

Yes. Oten quted as the classic problem of identity in metaphysics. Easily solved by resalising identity is a figment of our imagination. I am not the same person I was when I started writing this.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or the axe used to behead Charles I, that has since had several new blades and handles, but is still the same axe.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

We call that 'Trigger's broom' these days. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Doesn't stop middle aged people being prosecuted for what they did when they were callow teenagers.

I think that's why identity is regarded as so important: to stop people avoiding punishment by claiming they're different from the ones that committed crimes.

Reply to
Max Demian

that was amazingly deep ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Yes. I found it to be intriguing that Trigger's Broom wsa the continuation of philosophical discussions in Accient Greece 3000 years ago.

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

I find it persuasive that it is memory that makes identity. I know that I am me because I remember being me yesterday, and yesterday I remembered being me the day before, and so on. I think there have been Star Trek episodes involving transporter accidents addressing this aspect.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

and if you lose memory you are nobody ? ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

they are. no reason not to prosecute tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am, therefore I think.

Is this putting Descartes before de horse?

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

Why not prosecute someone for what his twin did?

Or anyone for anything anyone did?

Reply to
Max Demian

What if they succeed in copying a person's memory and put it in a robot brain? And another robot? And another? Where is your identity now?

Reply to
Max Demian

No, but you are not the same person.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ther you go, getting all caught up with the idea of 'identity'

My point is that it is a legal term, a social convention, its not *real*.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

it is the people who get drunk and have their inhibitions suppressed that annoy me....they are not the same person that they are when sober that is for sure ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

What sparked this one off? Its a bit like my Hi fi in the 70s, the only bits not changed are the phono leads. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I do have some sympathy with things that they did when young. If you don't believe people can reform then what iis the point in letting them out of gaol?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Who still uses phono leads? Digital is the way to go. Buy a good amp with a good DAC in it and just use cheap stuff to feed it digital signals as they are better than expensive analogue sources.

Even a £20 DVD player will produce perfect digital signals whatever the audophiles tell you. Do a blind test with the same amp and speakers and they won't tell the difference.

Reply to
dennis

An important one. You don't /really/ know that the person who will wake up in your body tomorrow morning is you, or just a new being who inherits all your memories or abilities; but if you didn't assume so, you wouldn't bother making plans for the future, except inasmuch as you might make plans for your descendants, i.e. not a great deal.

Reply to
Max Demian