Doorbell?

We have an ancient Freidland door chime which Dongs but no longer Dings:-) Ive been looking for a replacement but cant work out if I need an AC or DC bell unit to continue using the current 12v Freidland 764 transformer.

So far Google hasn't been very helpful, do any of you know if this thing is DC or AC?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Its DC when you use batteries and AC when you use a transformer. ie most door bells work with both.

ARW

Looking at the OP, could it just be a simple matter of replacing or re-attaching the return spring?

ie, the solenoid will pull in to hit one of the chimes, but without the return spring it will not then rebound to hit the other.

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

+1
Reply to
Chris Hogg

....a bit of corrosion adds to the friction and can defeat the spring - but not the solenoid

Reply to
DerbyBorn

BTDT and no, its just very old and worn out. Its supposed to Ding/Dong when the front door push is pressed and Dong/Ding when the back one is pressed but no amount of freeing up have improved the Ding!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I asked because reading feedback on Amazon some complain the bell they bought doesn't work well and answers to questions suggested its because its wrong AC/DC.

Also I'm struggling to find a simple bell to replace the current chime that is 12v, most seem to be 8v.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

In a previous residence, there was a Friedland ding-dong bell, with a transformer in the loft that had two secondary taps with the bell connected across the lower voltage, although I can't remember what the actual voltages were now. As the bell wasn't very loud, I reconnected it across the higher voltage tap, which improved things considerably and didn't fuse anything.

I took the view that the current flow was momentary, so was unlikely to cause overheating or blow a fuse on the input side of the tranny, for what was a modest increase in voltage. It seems I was right, as it stayed like that for nearly twenty years and for all I know still is.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

They'll be okay, they're only energised for a fraction of a second.

Burglar alarm sounders run on 12 volts (DC, but AC/DC bells are available) if you really want a 12 volt.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Be very grateful you still have the dong.

Reply to
Richard

That's interesting, for assuming that it predates the incursion of electronics by several years, your description of differing operation front and back suggests to me some form of DC operation entailing a permanent magnet.

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

... with a luminous nose?

Reply to
Chris Green

Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer explained :

So far as I remember, they use two separate solenoid coils and two terminals. One coil fires it one way, the other the opposite way.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com formulated the question :

The bell contacts can and do often jam closed, which means a chime type can remain energised for a very long time. They often overheat melt/ distort the plastic and jam, which might be the OP's problem.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I was thinking that I'd give it a drop of light oil.

Reply to
GB

GB snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com wrote in news:qgd6tm$e9r$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

No - it will make it sticky - clean smooth and dry.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Curious, then, that the ding should be missing on both front and back

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

hey owain, you mentioned on another post u got some stuff from j bull of haywards heath, I I know its gone but can you remind where it was located please

Reply to
mytova

In the "Wanted old MK ,metal clad light switches" thread

Their Haywards Heath site is now derelict:

some nicer stock here, panel meters, boxes labelled GPO and Decca, etc:

I think one of their addresses was

34 - 36 AMERICA LANE, HAYWARDS HEATH, SUSEX RH16 3QU

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

hey owain, yh its this site id like to visit and take some pictures for myself, but seems a very well kept secret amongst a few explores, even when you have helped them with the unkown sites ah well, thanks for your time thou fella

Reply to
mytova