Honeywell Automag Thermostat question

Hello!

I have done some looking on the web, and some calling around town here (Traverse City, MI) but I haven't found any answers.

I have a 3 wire 2 zone Honeywell automag hot water furnace, with a Utica boiler. For the most part, I love it (but for a frozen pipe that scared me last year Ugh!, it has been great).

However, I would really like to have a programmable thermostat so that I can get up in the morning and have a warm house. The thermostats available to everyone else seem to all have the 3 wire hot water furnace as an exception. And the local Heating and Cooling guys here didn't know anything about it.

Are there programmable thermostats out there for a 3 wire hot water system?

Thanks!

Jim Whall

snipped-for-privacy@DONOTSPAMMEev1lDEWERSyahoo.com

Reply to
Jimbo

I have a Honeywell programmable thermostat which has given me trouble free service for about 8 years and counting in a gas fired, forced air, single zone heating system and a central a/c system. As I recall, there was an "800" help number for Honeywell included in the directions. Have you tried contacting Honeywell? Have you looked at Honeywell's web site for info? I think contacting Honeywell could get you a definitive answer.

Stan

{Delete nospam for email}

Reply to
ssody

I have a similar situation. From brief investigation of thermostat replacement in my house, I found that many electronic thermostats are powered from the 24vac control circuit itself and that's a problem when certain zone valves are used (e.g. Taco zone valves in my case), but I'm not entirely sure why (I suspect it gets insufficient power intermittently). In that situation, I think it's possible to use a battery powered thermostat, a thermostat which requires a separate 24vac power conductor, or to wire an isolating relay in the circuit to control the zone valve. This isolating relay idea seems promising because it seems like it would allow installation of any thermostat. I also haven't yet succeeded in finding a local heating professional who has a clue what I'm talking about.

George Elkins

Reply to
George Elkins

Reply to
Tony Hwang

replying to Jimbo, Hark wrote: I realize this is a 13 year old post, but I decided to answer for anyone else looking for an answer to this question too. This link is to automag's website and the thermostat they claim are comparable.

Hark