Wanted - a louder door chime

The front door chime in our new house is a pathetic 'bing bong', but all of the replacements we have tried are all too quiet.

We have a fairly large hall, and it is difficult to hear the door bell at all.

Any recommendations for louder replacement - the thing is wired off a transformer btw.

Reply to
Paper2002AD

Might not be any help to you but the other day I bought a wireless one from Lidl that has a variety of chimes and only cost less than £4 and is quite loud..... Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I use a wireless one. You can have multiple receivers, upstairs, downstairs, in the garden, wherever takes your fancy. There are versions that allow you to use the bell push of your choice.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The loudest common type is a standard bell. It should be a direct replacement for the ding dong, electrically.

But FWIW, I've got two - one on the ground floor and one at the top of the house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Paper2002AD" wrote | The front door chime in our new house is a pathetic 'bing bong', but | all of the replacements we have tried are all too quiet. | We have a fairly large hall, and it is difficult to hear the door bell | at all. | Any recommendations for louder replacement - the thing is wired off a | transformer btw.

Cheap chimes don't give as good a tone or volume as good ones; if you want a good bing-bong get a genuine Friendland Facet. If that's not loud enough, most transformers will power two chimes in parallel, so you can have one near the door and another one elsewhere in the house.

If that's not loud enough, change the transformer to a 24V dc supply and get a fire bell / school lesson bell, both from an electrical wholesaler.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Take a look at the wireless range on TLC web site .... you can play the tunes (and those of all Friedland range they stock) .. the wireless option would allow you to add slave sounders around the house.

BTW .. I just bought a Friedland Surf form TLC ... and it is pretty damn loud.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Ive got one of those LOUD its not, but with a £ shop cheepie ding dong wired into it, postman now even wakes me up !

Reply to
Mark

The loudest one in the TLC cat is the Underdome bell - transformer only. It's 6 dB louder than any of the battery bells they list - ie twice as loud. There is also a mains buzzer that is louder still, but I'm not sure I'd like that...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote | The loudest one in the TLC cat is the Underdome bell - transformer | only. It's 6 dB louder than any of the battery bells they list - | ie twice as loud. There is also a mains buzzer that is louder | still, but I'm not sure I'd like that...

I have an Ericsson Hooter No 2A which is a mains buzzer about 6" in diameter. (I think it came from Bull or Greenweld.) I use it when I have to get up at 5 am for election duties. G-clamped to the chest of drawers, the whole bedroom resonates nicely.

I'm on my feet before I've woken up, when that goes off.

Sometimes I wire it as an extension phone bell.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Does it wake up the rest of the street too?

Reply to
Paper2002AD

Hi,

I use two alarms carefully hidden near each other, the stereo effect means they're harder to locate before I've woken up.

Then a third alarm set for slightly later to remind me not to get back into bed :)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

"Paper2002AD" wrote |>I have an Ericsson Hooter No 2A which is a mains buzzer about 6" in |>diameter. (I think it came from Bull or Greenweld.) I use it when |>I have to get up at 5 am for election duties. |Does it wake up the rest of the street too?

Hope so!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

B&Q do a range from Byron - amongst that lot is a wireless controlled bell type (type SX15 possibly); requires 2 'D' cells to drive it but it can be moved around the house and is definitely LOUD - and was really pretty inexpensive.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

BTW - is your surname Glyndwr?

Reply to
Paper2002AD

Just as a point, has anyone noticed that pretty all door bells are 'tuned' to the same note regardless of make?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Paper2002AD" wrote | >|Does it wake up the rest of the street too? | >Hope so! | >Owain | BTW - is your surname Glyndwr?

No. I also have a full head of hair, unlike King Owain The Bald of Strathclyde, who died in about 1018.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's gotta be just a matter of time before we get doorbells with downloadable ringtones.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The message from Ian Stirling contains these words:

Crocketts, an oldfashioned ironmongers in Glasgow where you can easily spend hours fossicking about, has a whole department of very different doorbells, connected up so you can test run them until the staff lose patience. My favourite is the hound-from-hell barking dog doorbell...

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

"THERE'S SOMEBODY AT THE DOOR, THERE'S SOMEBODY AT THE DOOR"

Reply to
raden

"They're coming to take me away, Haha, they're coming to take me away, Ho ho, hee hee, ha ha, To the funny farm Where life is beautiful all the time ... "

Reply to
Ian Stirling