Doorbell?

It probably has a bug stuck in the slidy bit. Better call in Grace Hopper to investigate.

Reply to
Andrew

Silicone spray perhaps, or graphite powder lock stuff.

Reply to
Andrew

Get a musical one to play 'My ding-a-ling' ?.

Reply to
Andrew

It looks like mine, but a bit older, but I can only see three wires connected to the solenoid.

I have four, two from the bell transformer and two from the doorbell. You seem to have a lot of wires that are not connected.

Also, 'Cleaning Instruction' (visible in photo) says use lighter fluid and shake gently to free slider, .. Caution - don't shake violently'

Presumably ok to smoke while doing this ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Assuming the ding when you press the button and the dong when you release, if no ding are you sure it is getting the full 12v (or whatever) Check all connections are clean and tight, and the fuse holder too if it has one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I like the cleaning instructions on the sticker.

Reply to
ARW

I'd follow that. I earlier suggested oiling it, but using some mild solvent like lighter fluid to remove any gunk seems a better idea.

The most likely explanation for the issue with this bell is simply that the grease or whatever they put inside has congealed over the 50-odd years that it looks like it's been in use. A bit of TLC would probably see it last another 50. :)

Reply to
GB