Recording from Panasonic smart TV

Always

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In your part of the country perhaps, plenty of other places 9 muxes.

Reply to
Andy Burns

And others only 3...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I tend to find when you leave people with a two remotes set-up, both have volume controls.

If using CEC it could be a common volume control in which case all is fine, but if there are independent volume controls for each device, it ends up with one on e.g 48/64, and the other becomes a toggle between e.g 0/16 silence and 1/16 deafening

Reply to
Andy Burns

give an example

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Plus ...

Tacolneston, Belmont, Crystal Palace, Pontop Pike, Oxford, Sutton Coldfield, Emley Moor, Black Hill, Divis, Tapton Hill, Wenvoe, Ridge Hill, Caldbeck, Craigkelly

Possibly others including a few relays, a few of the above have 10 muxes.

Reply to
Andy Burns

We bought our 4K TV from a shop that is never knowingly undersold by Indian food outlets.

We were told our VCR probably wouldn?t work, and we may have to buy a new DVD player (why he said this when it had component input? Because it?s better ecvonomics to employ people who don?t have a clue.

As Dave P says, the later BT boxes do have HDMI, and are also less buggy. And if they are with BT for Broadband (they may also be paying monthly for BT TV?, so if they aren?t going to use it they should cancel / renegotiate).

However, the newer BT boxes have a subtly different UI.

So they would have to learn again.

Reply to
cpvh

To come back to HDMI to SCART (or vice Versa) I?d have been surprised if they did work. I think they are sold on the same basis as super hi gain works with everything indoor TV & radio aerials. Ie, most pry won?t bother to return them for a refund.

What we do have at work is tiny little (passive) converters between HDMI and DVI. And DVI and VGA which do work. I was really surprised it was possible to do that, especially the second one.

Reply to
cpvh

iPlayer is currently the only native terrestrial streamer that shows live content, and the only one to stream HD too so they are streets ahead of the others.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Does the smart TV have an internet connection? iPlayer and the like make it possible to watch a lot of programmes on demand these days.

Reply to
Martin Brown

No, it for sure is not.

e.g.

That may well be true.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Potentially, yes, but I think that would only confuse them utterly. He's just turned 90 and she must be mid to late 80's. They struggle with the simple things. Actually, I'm quite impressed with what they do cope with, but an Internet connection for the TV I think would be beyond them.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Mine connected easily - just by entering the Wi-Fi code. You then get access to FreeView playback which works from the TV EPG, so very easy to use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, I was just thinking of the channel's own streamers. To be honest I didn't realise there were any 3rd party free-to-air streamers left.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Not at all surprising.

There is DVI-A, which is analogue (effectively XVGA with a different connector); DVI-D, which is digital (effectively HDMI without the sound); and DVI-I which has both analogue and digital spread amongst its many pins.

I've never seen a DVI-A device, but many video cards are DVI-I.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

ITV IIRC has its own streaming service

e.g.

The Natural Philosopher

The DVI to VGA ones work, but are active converters - presumably including a frame store to cache video frames from the DVI into VRAM, and in effect subset of a complete VGA display device to render that as analogue video. A sophisticated solution that at one time would have been a very expensive complete expansion card of electronics. These days a single ASIC no doubt.

Reply to
John Rumm

Lots of TVs actually have a "store mode" designed for in shop display - usually everything turned up to look bright and eye catching.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've been pleased how easy this is, too. It's one case where the "big, colourful tiles for idiots" philosophy works quite well. (Samsung gives you a scrolling bar along the bottom of the screen).

Reply to
newshound

I did actually ask them if they wanted it linked to their router, for Internet access, although I wasn't aware of FreeView playback at the time, but they said 'no'. But in spite of both your comments that it's simple to use, I think it would still cause them more confusion than it's worth. Their son comes to stay occasionally and fiddles with their TV settings - I'll; let him suggest it and set it up if they want it.

Reply to
Chris Hogg