Inspecting floor boarded attic insulation

The attic is boarded. Since I've lived here I've discovered lots of things have not been done properly so I decided to try and check what insulation there was between the ceiling and the floor panels.

Well they are tongue and grooved and nailed on. I can't see an easy, non-destructive way to tell if there is insulation, and if there is, whether it's been squashed down or not.

Thought I'd try by looking up one or two ceiling roses but of course there's just a small hole for the wire.

If work is required on the insulation it's going to be a massive job (for me anyway). Approx 30' x 12' for the boarded section.

There's then a few feet either side to the edge of the gable roof, which has loose insulation. 1960's build so is it reasonable to assume that is what is under the floorboards?

I'd guess the boarding was done in the 1980s.

Reply to
AnthonyL

What about an endoscope:

Could be fun afterwards.....

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

I have one of the Depstech ones. You can get them in wifi versions (that need an app), screen versions (with a fairly small screen), or camera-only versions that present as a USB webcam. I have the webcam version - turns out USB webcam support on Android is poor but the official app just about works. Using it on a laptop is much better, and with a bigger screen.

The main thing is they have a focal depth of a few cm, and often the bump into things closer than that (eg in a pipe) which you can't see clearly. But still very handy for exploring under the floorboards and down pipes.

For a cheapskate approach, you could just cut a hole in the ceiling to insert a phone camera. Would need filling afterwards, but perhaps not such a big deal? Cut-and-fill is commonly done for fishing wires through ceiling voids.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Just circular along the joints either side of a board, lift it and look. Then screw (nailing might crack ceiling plaster below) the board back down. It'll be fine without the tongue and grooved joints - just as many houses have unjointed floor boards where wiring or piping has been added later.

Reply to
SteveW

That should have been "circular saw along"

Reply to
SteveW

No, it can really hurt.

Bill

Reply to
wrights...

Reply to
wrights...

wrights...

I've got a hole saw. SWMBO would not be well pleased. A laser cutter which would allow the disc to be seamlessly replaced could work.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Why can't you drill a small hole somewhere and put a cheap borescope probe in the hole ?

And plug the hole afterwards if you want to.

Reply to
zall

You don't need holesaw or borescope. Drill some 3mm holes & poke a wire in. Hold it with insulating gloves. A smear of filler repairs the holes. New insulation can be laid on top.

Reply to
Animal