old attic insulation question

Hi, My attic has 2x6 joists. The (ancient) fiberglass insulation between the joists appears to be matted down to about 2" thick.

Do I rip it out and replace with 6" thick batts and add more above that? Or do I leave it, add 4" batts, and add more above that?

All opinions appreciated. Regards, Theodore.

Reply to
millinghill

I've worked with blown cellulose, once. Seemed to do OK. I'd add more, over the top. Either blown cellulose, or more fiberglass.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Unless height is an issue, I'd just add on top of what's there, probably use batts. As Bob said, 6" isn't much,for most of the USA in winter, R30 is the minimum. That's 9 1/2" thick. The original should have a vapor barrier and if you use batts, then it should not have a vapor barrier.

Reply to
trader_4

He DID say he was going to add more above. Matted down insulation has poor insulation value. I'd remove the old first - and be tempted to have a spray insulation applied (about 2 inches) to act also as a vapour barrier and then fill with blown insulation above that.

Reply to
clare

I missed that. I guess enough insulation to fill it up to the level of the top of the joists, then loose cellulose gives the best energy solution. I wonder what the energy difference is if you use just thick batts? There would be some gaps between them, ie between joists, which would cut down the performance. Topping it with blown-in would be better from that standpoint. Only thing about blown-in I don't like is that if you have to do some work, eg find an electric, phone, CATV etc cable, it's going to be a pain in the ass. But I guess you don't have to do that very often.

Sounds like unnecessary complication to me. I agree if it's matted, it has low R value, but so what? It's still greater than zero, and if you put what you intend to put on top of it, you have the new plus whatever is existing. A little more insulation and you avoid the work and disposal, etc of ripping the old stuff out.

Reply to
trader_4

Hi, My question is how come it matted down? Moisture problem one time or another? I want to make sure about this. Is there vapor barrier under neath? If all is good, I'd just add more insulation by any means. Here it is R60 in the attic.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If it's like my attic it's dust piled up over the decades. I think, when I finally get the funds together, I'm going to have old insulation left in place with cellulose blown over it. With vaulted ceiling it's probably the best solution. Back in '83, when they built my house, they used some kind of rock wool insulation. Seems to work okay, but I'm sure it's not anywhere near present standards.

Reply to
gonjah

Hi. House is in lower New York State. Existing batts have been matted down over their apparent 60+year life in the attic. I find fiberglass batts much easier to deal with than blown cellulose, so I'll stick with them. I guess I'll leave the existing and just place more on top!

Reply to
millinghill

the joists appears to be matted down to about 2" thick. Do I rip it out and replace with 6" thick batts and add more above that? Or do I leave it, add 4" batts, and add more above that? All opinions appreciated. Regards, Theo dore.

Any bats added above the joists should be placed at right angles to the dir ection of the original bats to ensure there are no accidental "chimneys".

Reply to
hrhofmann

On 5/17/2014 1:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: ...

As long as they're not completely full of dirt as can happen here in the High Plains over that period...we took over 2" of accumulated dirt out of the attic of the house here (built in '15/'16). Most was from the "Dirty 30's" but I'm sure a fair amount also accumulated during the other really bad period of the 50's...

Reply to
dpb

There SHOULD be vapour barrier under it, but you can almost guarantee it is not uninterupted if it IS there - which is why I would seriously consider removing what is there and having a thin coat of spray foal installed before filling it with cellulose or fiberglass.

Reply to
clare

Roxul is still about the best insulation you can buy - it does not absorb water, it does not support mold, or mice.

Reply to
clare

Let's say it has the typical vapor barrier similar houses would have. What is going to happen that is so bad, from just adding more insulation? If this house isn't experiencing any problems related to moisture passing through the vapor barrier that is there, what's the compelling need to rip out the existing insulation and do spray foam?

The house I'm living in, I'm sure the vapor barrier isn't perfect. It isn't perfect in new construction either. But I'm not seeing any problems from it. And if the OP doesn't have problems, I'm not seeing the necessity of the rip out and spraying in foam.

Reply to
trader_4

That's nice to know. I have vaulted ceiling in well over 50% of my house and access to some areas of the attic requires a contortionist.

Reply to
gonjah