BG Smart Sockets - any good ?

2 questions ....

# What is considered opinion of BG manufactured SMART sockets ? ... they any good, as good as any other ?

#2 They use a BG app on the phone not SmartLife App, any reason not to go this route ? Ultimately assume I will connect up to Alexa, but just need App on/off to start (these are Google/Alexa compatible)

I had an unknown brand SMART socket, but with no manufacturer details, (other than made in China) and the seller was unable to support it... may return it as VERY difficult to set up

The BG ones are well priced at ScrewFix and ToolStation

rick

'British' General also appears to be manufactured in China, so still supporting a repressive regime:

Scott

Just like what you are using to post to usenet does.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Are any wiring accessories still made in the UK? I somehow doubt it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

ARe these 2.4GHz or 5 GHz units

How does one put the Wifi password in?

Will it support a vpn like wireguard or openvpn?

Reply to
SH

You can tell them apart from the app that's used. SmartLife is the Tuya ecosystem, while BG uses Broadlink.

I don't have any experience of them, except that BG stuff is generally at the cheap end of the market when it comes to consumer units etc.

Generally I treat all 'smart' stuff as junk and wouldn't expect them to keep working for more than a few years, until the app vendor gets bored. Personally I won't buy anything that I can't reflash[*] with alternative firmware if needs be.

Theo

[*] eg Tasmota-supported devices:
Theo

From

2.4GHz

Reading between the lines, initial config probably makes a wifi direct connection from your phone using their app, and the socket using WPS - so no manual password required.

I don't understand the question - could you clarify what you mean?

Reply to
John Rumm

I believe a large proportion of MK comes from their factory in Southend-on-Sea.

Reply to
Scott

I share your scepticism, sir.

Reply to
Scott

WPS is disabled on my wi fi network

I have a wireguard server on the wifi network so all wifi connections have to be from wifi devices running the wireguard client such as from our smartphones, laptops and ipads.

Reply to
SH

I suspect it is using WPS to establish an ad hoc wifi connection between the socket and the phone. Your home network would not be involved at that point.

It may then use the phones wifi credentials to configure the socket to access the home wifi.

I would be surprised if it does...

Much domestic wifi connecting kit can have trouble with anything that requires any configuration more exotic than just selecting a SSID and password. Try joining most smart TVs to a WiFi that uses enterprise style EAP authentication that needs a username and password, and you will often find it is a non starter.

You could always setup another dedicated SSID just for the sockets using conventional WPA2, and partition that traffic on its own VLAN.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you want a Tuya (Smartlife) compatible one, I’ve been looking a the Woox ones on Amazon. While they don’t state the use Smartlife, looking on YouTube at their app, it looks like a ‘wrapped ‘ version of the TUYA ones so I’m pretty sure it will work with a Tuya app.

Reply to
Brian

I have several 'smart' sockets and plugs including a BG double socket. They work with each others provided app, which all seem to be Tuya based. They all do what it says on the tin after a year of operation. I will say they were a pain to set up until I finally figured out how to do it (they don't seem to like BT Mesh!) but now there appears to be no difference between them. I find them useful and would not hesitate to buy more if I needed them. As for the software developer losing interest in maintaining them, they are simple switches and the original software should suffice for the life of the product.

Reply to
Torx

I don't with the Homekit compatible stuff.

Reply to
zall

The problem is the apps have to check in with the server, and that stops working if the server goes away. Also if they fail to update the apps for your current phone OS.

This kind of shenanigans:

are now back from bankruptcy, with a new $40/year fee)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Perhaps not the best choice of name for a company :-)

Reply to
Scott

Without getting political, I have not tried those, but had nothing but trouble with TP link ones in the past, needed two apps to set them up and then lost their memories quite frequently. I ended up with the Amazon ones in the end. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Depends on how good your Latin is :-)

(the name translates to "Art of Technology")

Reply to
John Rumm

That's alright then, Mr Rees-Mogg will understand.

Reply to
Scott

2.4GHz When you add device you need to give it your HUB password no idea
Reply to
rick