Unopened paint sat outside

I'm doing some tidying and a tip run.

I've some unopened cans of paint, they've been sat out for probably just over a year in a plastic storage crate. Is there a danger of the paint being usable? If not i'll take it to the tip.

Reply to
R D S

Do they accept paint? Most don't nowadays.

Reply to
Chris Green

it's it's seen frost, it might need a thorough stirring?

tip it onto sheets of newspaper, fold it up once dry, then they'll take it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

On 19 Oct 2022, Chris Green wrote

It very much depends on your local tip. Our Household Waste Recycling Centre takes paint for "disposal or recycling"; as it's a householder service, though, it's limited to 5 litres per month per household.

For reusable paints, there's also an initiative called "Community RePaint"

which accepts surplus, usable paint and donates it to charitable and voluntary groups, and people on low incomes.

Reply to
HVS

If it has been cold enough to freeze it then the stuff will probably be separated into pigment and clear resin by now. The only way to be sure is open a tin and take a look.

Even if it looks OK it may not cure properly or have the same longevity as a paint film as fresh unmolested paint might have. Stored cool and frost free then I think you have a chance but outdoors its a risk. Though last winter was fairly mild so you might have got away with it.

Do a test patch before you use it!

Reply to
Martin Brown

I should put them in the dustbin a few at a time.

Bill

Reply to
wrights...

In message <XnsAF359A43F443Awhhvans@88.198.57.247>, at 15:09:53 on Wed,

19 Oct 2022, HVS snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk> remarked:

I thought there was just one tip in our county that would accept it. Thus ticking a box saying they offer the service, while simultaneously making it too difficult to use for most households...

... however that organisation has a drop-off point at about half of them.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I guess it depends on the paint whether its usable or not. Some of the older traditional glosses will need a good stir, but it is the below freezing that can, eventually make it not be very good. I often wondered with the heatwave whether paint stored in hot buildings might be damaged but if it is, its still being sold. I suppose if you have something that you want to paint that colour, then its worth a try if you can store it more safely. I have some in a cupboard upstairs, but would have no way to know if its any good. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I took some water and oil based leftovers to the tip the other day. They used to put it to one side, but he just told me to chuck it in the general waste. So presumably it can go in the black bin now.

Sheffield has incinerated waste, though, so it might vary elsewhere.

Reply to
RJH

Stir & paint a blob on the top of the can. You'll soon know if it's ok. Freecycle, freegle, social media sites, gumtree etc have giveaway lists.

Reply to
Animal