Rusty cans of paint

I have lots of rusty cans of half full of paint. Some of the paint must match rooms already painted and be useful for patching. But if I open them will I get dirt in and dry them out further? So how can I sort through them to find good and bad, and how to reseal them?

ideas please

George

Reply to
George Miles

If water based paint decant them into empty plastic milk bottles/containers. Perhaps filter the paint though a pair of tights or fine net curtains first. Store the decanted paint out of sunlight.

I've also successfully used plastic food containers with sealed snap on lids to keep small amounts of (water based) paints for future touch up purposes.

Reply to
alan_m

After dislodging as much dirt and rust as possible with a wire brush and/or something like T-Cut, paint all the rusted areas of the cans with that stuff you can get to paint over rust on cars?

For examples:

But it might not be economic, of course. It depends on how much usable paint you could salvage.

Reply to
JNugent

Don't make the mistake of trying this with spirit based paint. DAMHIK.

Reply to
newshound

I've had 'new' (unopened) cans that are rusty inside. I've a plastic, er, can from the '80s that's still useable. The metal cans are unfit for purpose.

Reply to
PeterC

Empty paint tins can be bought cheaply in 0.25, 0.5, 1.0 and 2.5L sizes (maybe others, too). Remove most of the crud from the outside of your tins, open carefully, stir as needed, pour into new tin (straining through an old pair of tights, if needed), write colour and room on new tin, forget about paint until next house move and leave it for new owners. I tried using old 1 litre plastic milk bottles but the tins are much better.

Reply to
nothanks

You will just have to look inside I'm afraid. If you identify any areas that need touching up you can hen test it at that time. From my experience though the paint tends to separate and leave a skin on the top and what is underneath never really remixes properly so even if you use it, it tends to be less than optimum. Luckily these days I cannot see the colours so I really don't care! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

To prevent skin forming on oil-based paint store it lid side down.

Reply to
Peter Johnson