Removal/cleaning of bitumen paint from sofa :-(

One of my cats (naturally the long haired one) decided to run through a pool of bitumen paint (the stuff for protecting concrete or metalwork) yesterday and, having converted one front and one rear paw to a tar brush proceeded to run into the sitting from and onto the sofa. Having endured the recriminations from SWReallyMBO what do I do now? The tin says to clean up with white spirit. Do I take my life in my hands and try to clean it off the sofa with white spirit or what?? Obviously I'll practice elsewhere first. Oh, and the sofa is a yellow/gold colour nicely set off by 6 or 8 paw prints on one arms.
TIA
Richard
PS SWMBO was so upset that she went into work today!!!!
--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
<Snip>
At times like this it it's not YOUR cat - it is HER cat.
--
Alan
Alan wrote:

Almost true but I'm the one who left the sitting room door open, as has been pointed out to me. <sigh>
I refrained from explaining the concentration required (by an amateur) intent on making as a good a job as possible in joining two DPCs - one a membrane the other a very fragile layer of tar.
Richard
--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
Richard wrote:

I would be more concerned about the effects on the cat.

Awwww.
Owain
Owain wrote:

Deeply unimpressed by having his paws washed in white spirit followed by baby shampoo

Is that 'awwww' as in 'how awful' or as in 'how nice'? :-)

--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
Richard wrote:

I'll bet he is!

Awwww as in nice.
Owain

Given the habits of small critters for licking their paws afterwards, you may well just have killed him. White spirit is extremely toxic on livers, and cats have weak livers.
A better cleaner is either almost any Ecover product, particularly the washing up liquid (they're based on coconut oil), most shampoo, or peanut butter (a fine emulsifier for oily things).
Andy Dingley wrote:

But mindful of the probable effects of both contaminants - bitumen and white spirit I did lather up his feet with shampoo. They came up lovely and fluffy!
Thanks tho' for the liver warning. Interesting use for peanut butter.
Richard
--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post

As already suggested, petrol is the easy way to remove the bitumen.
For a fast result a match comes in handy.
--
Alan
wrote

through
paw
sofa.
How do you make a cat go Woof ?
Oh, you've heard it.

Dry cleaner's shop. You want an aerosol spot gun, with extraction. If you do it with solvent and a hand-held brush, then it will spread more than it disappears.
Tiny cat-fur slip covers might help to hide it.
Andy Dingley wrote:

Excellent idea

Presumably made from the skin of the long haired cat? ;-)
Richard
--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:13:05 +0000, Andy Dingley

There used to be a "Correct Method" of removing stains like this with solvents. Printed on the "Thawpit" bottle label IIRC.
But I've forgotten what it was. :-(
ISTR it involved "surrounding" the stain with solvent and then working inwards. Allegedly surface tension would cause it to spread if you start at the middle of the soiling and work out,(The intuitive way). BICBW.
Seriously, I don't think it's gonna come out. You would need to get the % of the staining material remaining in the cloth down to tiny proportions.
Time to investigate your house contents policy methinks. If you can claim and get a new one it will have the most molliative effect on SWMBO.

DG
--
Come Gordon fill the flowing bowl until it doth run over
Come Gordon fill the flowing bowl until it doth run over

working inwards. Allegedly surface tension would cause it to spread if you start at the middle of the soiling and work out,(The intuitive way). BICBW. <<<<
First you need to establish the correct solvet for the bitumin. You can buy various stain removers commercially. Try a few and see which works and doesn't damage the fabric.
Then follow Derks system as above. You should be able to remove it 100% this way.
OR - find a professional carpet/upholstery cleaning company - not as easy as it sounds, go for a NCCF member.
Dave
Richard wrote:

metalwork)
Having
tin
and
petrol and cotton bud. Wipe towards centre of stain so it doesnt spread out. Arrange for resuscitation after overcome by toxic fumes, ie must be done outside, and kept in garage until fully defumed.
Alternatively, get some cold black dye and paint the paw prints so you have purrmanent fully filled-in paw prints there.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk wrote:

Why petrol rather than white spirit?

I doubt VERY much that SWRMBO would see the funny side of that one. She's inexplicably attached to the sofa - bought before I knew her. It cost her IIRC 3K and I find it fearfully uncomfortable.
Richard

--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:51:20 +0000, Richard wrote:

If I was in this much trouble I'd start experimenting on the basis that you have already lost the sofa.
I'd try using a VAX (or equivalent) loaded with white spirit, but do it outside in case the VAX turns into a jet engine.
Ed Sirett wrote:

I've cleaned the paw prints off the carpets - dark in hall and light in bedroom (mog seemed to delight in walking wherever he could) - with white spirit to test it's effectiveness. I have also damped an unseen area of the sofa to see how it reacts to white spirit. I might even apply some bitumen to another unseen area and try to remove it.
On closer inspection it appears that his feet may have been almost dry when he reached the sofa. The prints don't seem to have soaked in - you can 'feel' the bitumen on the fabric. So I may try the 'scalpel with new blade' trick and scrape the sofa not the cat)
Richard
--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post

Personally I'd make sure the cat wasn't left out of the proceedings. I dislike cats....
Andrew
Please note that the email address used for posting usenet messages is configured such that my antispam filter will automatically update itself so that the senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do need to contact me please visit my web site and submit an enquiry - http://www.kazmax.co.uk

do it outside in case the VAX turns into a jet engine.<<<<<
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!
The brushes in the vaccuum motor will ..................... You can guess the rest!
Dave