Where to get Engineer's blue?

I need some engineer's blue to find out which part of the mechanism is fouling on one of my doors - but I don't know where to get it.

Google comes up with lots of hits describing *uses* of the stuff - but none which say who sells it.

Reply to
Set Square

I also spent ages looking for what I call Engineers Blue - my version was the stuff I used to paint on sheet metal at school prior to marking out. Never did find it!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

It is called marking out fluid: google shows:

an early hit.

You can buy it from any engineering suppliers.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The last time I bought some it was in the form of a very broad felt tip pen .. I didn't think I'd like it but it works very well .. ;-)

See here for yer local small engineering supplier ..

use GLR quite a bit and from memory was where I got my marking out 'pen' from)

You may find a big, basic marker pen may do anyway?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

You can get it in white and blue, and as a marker pen or spray can.

list of suppliers

John_ZIZinvalid

Frost sell it 3 quid inc. for 38g. Part number J270. Probably cheaper elsewhere, though.

Dave Plowman (News)

Are we confusing two products. One is for Marking Out purposes and is a quick drying spirit based blue coating that will provide a high contrast for scribed lines.

The other is Engineers Blue / Micrometer Blue - a deep prussian blue greasy stuff. This is typically used to help to identify high spots on flat surfaces. It is non-drying.

Reply to
John

Deep blue shoe polish works almost as well.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Permanent or dry wipe markers work well

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Model Engineer's suppliers. You might get it at the Real Engineer's shop, but it's getting hard to find.

There are two sorts - one is blue dye in solvent, one is blue dye in a greasy solvent. For marking out puposes the aerosol stuff is quickest and easiest to use(easiest to find these days too). For fitting purposes, you need the greasy sort - it takes longer to dry. Best bought in tins, because a leaky tube of this is not your toolbox's friend !

As alternatives, a wipe with a marker pen works for marking out with a scriber. For fitting use either shoe polish or soft graphite pencil, depending on the hardness of the materials.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

grease. I've never seen a "fluid" form.

I've had this stuff for decades and can't remember where I bought it :-(

Reply to
Frank Erskine

That is a fluid for making marking out on metal more visible. You paint it on, let it dry and scribe throough it. It is not engineer's blue, which is a paste you put between two metal pieces, to show you the low spots after rubbing them together.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Look up engineers' suppliers in yellow pages.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

nightjar >

True, but at school it was (erroneously I now know) called engineers blue. Hence the trouble I have had in finding it.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Right. You live and learn.

That's what I understand by the term. Only thing I've used it for was to check the mating of valves in a car cylinder head after grinding in, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Normally, schools get that sort of thing right. Engineer's blue has always been a method of checking where bearing surfaces touch.

Some thing for enhancing marking out has never been called engineer's blue.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To check where a door is fouling you can also use masking tape, see where it gets scraped, or even simpler, just hold a piece of paper in the way as you close and see where it sticks.

Engineers blue is also used to dot the parts on electronic assemblies that have been checked. When they need 2nd and 3rd checks, the thing gets progressively more colourful after each check.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

========================= As an alternative you can use the smoke from a candle as an indicator. I used this method many years ago on my bikes but I can't remember exactly what for!

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I've seen it used by gunsmiths.

Reply to
Huge

Engineers Blue is a trade name. The same stuff can be found under by doing a search for Marking Blue at R S Components.

Kaiser