Plastic lumber -- where do you buy it?

I wouldn't ask but I've Googled this to death and nothing. Plenty of places that sell plastic furniture and products but no info on raw materials.
Where do you but this HDPE lumber (in Midwest)?
A place that stocks, with a variety of shapes and colors.
I know I can get deck board but that's not what I'm after. THANKS.
On 3/18/2012 7:43 AM, mkr5000 wrote:

I think you are confused. Plastic furniture parts are not usually made from sheets, planks, or sticks of material. The individual parts are normally cast, injected, or extruded and are unique to each particular product.
You've not indicated what it is you are trying to make, but you will not find a source for what I think you're after.
If your needs can be met with acrylic or Lexan, then go to a plastic supplier like: Cope http://www.copeplastics.com /
Another possibility would be to purchase sheets from toilet partition folks like: http://www.scrantonproducts.com /#
Man made counter tops are a type of plastic also: http://solidsurface.com /
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
replying to DanG, John wrote: since I am trying to find plastic lumber like 1x8 or 1/2 x6 and none of these plastic places do not know what dimensioned lumber is they must not make it

I'm not sure HDPE is what you're wanting. If you want plastic "lumber" you may be looking for products made from PVC. My small-town lumber yard stocks products made by http://www.versatex.com /. I'm sure there are many other vendors out there.
replying to Gordon Shumway, John wrote: evergreen has some also www.rpi2.com but can not seem to get help every body wants to sell you furnituru I just lookink for lumber that will not rot thanks John
On 3/18/2012 7:43 AM, mkr5000 wrote:

What, specifically, _are_ you after?
Normal lumber yards stock (or can get) products from Azek, Versatex or one of the other manufacturers of structural/trim lumber replacement products.(+) As was noted elsewhere, most of these are PVC, not HDPE (which will be quite expensive in any volume) if that's what you're looking for. If you really are looking for the cast parts from which many products are made as individual assemblies, there you're probably out of luck unless you want to buy them by the car (or container) load direct from the manufacturer.
Or, try Outwater
<http://www.outwatercatalogs.com/home/index.cfm
(+) If you're not positive what these are, Fine Homebuilding (www.taunton.com indirectly) did a comparison article some couple or three years ago that compared the various products. While similar, they're not all made alike and have different characteristics depending on the fabrication technique and materials.
replying to dpb, John wrote: just want to make some bird houses thanks
You are after the smooth stuff on both sides?
I was unable to come up with a source for a small amount. My SWMBO wanted a table / umbrella stand (small about 24 " ) for around the pool. The material is perfect because of the weight. I wound up using TREX deck board because no one would sell small amounts of the smooth stuff.
Once I started laying it out, she wanted the wood grained side anyway. So I got lucky.
The stuff works well, but I had problems with screws in endgrain breaking the pieces. I used liquid nails for all joints with SS screws. Clamp before driving a screw in endgrain to prevent it from splitting, of course predrill too.
On 3/18/2012 8:43 AM, mkr5000 wrote:

If you know a town near buy that has a Home Depot or Lowes they sell several brands.
They also sell stuff on line. Wonder if you could order several 'boards' and have them delivered. Something to look into.
I bought a length for my weather station - out in the direct sun.
Martin
On 3/18/2012 10:41 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

replying to Martin Eastburn, John wrote: thank you
replying to tiredofspam, John wrote: thank you
Humph! My brother built his deck with the plastic lumber. His looks okay to me. I expected he got it from HD or Lowes, AKA a common "hardware" store. But we do have Carter's and a few other lumber only places around Central Ohio. He is asleep know. He will be awake in a few hours.
Mike in Ohio
On 3/18/2012 8:43 AM, mkr5000 wrote:

replying to Kenefick, John wrote: thank you
This doesn't look precast to me --
http://www.polywoodinc.com/faq.html
Don't want to use deck boards -- perhaps these guys are using HDPE SHEET and cutting it to size.
I know you do custom colors in HDPE.
PVC is not what I meant or what I'm after.
On 3/18/2012 1:29 PM, mkr5000 wrote:

Well, if that is what you're after, why
1) didn't you say so in the beginning, and
2) from the link you posted--

which is a live link...
replying to dpb, John wrote: thats what I t5hough thanks again
replying to mkr5000, John wrote: thank you
http://www.polywoodinc.com/faq.html
This doesn't look like cast material to me and I'm not after PVC -- it's HDPE.
I'm starting to think that they're making these products out of custom HDPE sheet and then cutting to size.
On 3/18/2012 1:31 PM, mkr5000 wrote:

Why don't you start to think they manufacture the product from recycled plastics for themselves like their web site says they do?
It appears to me they make parts for themselves; whether they do or would sell material other than as furniture is indeterminate afaict from the web site.
I suggest you contact them directly and ask if that's what you want.
AFAIK there isn't another; this is the first I've seen the actual product altho I do recall some hype about the recycling possibilities some years ago hadn't ever seen any result(s) therefrom...

AFAIK there isn't another; this is the first I've seen the actual product altho I do recall some hype about the recycling possibilities some years ago hadn't ever seen any result(s) therefrom... ============================================================There are two more. Renew and Trimax. http://www.renewplastics.com /