Plastic lumber -- where do you buy it?

I wouldn't ask but I've Googled this to death and nothing. Plenty of places that sell plastic furniture and products but no info on raw materials.

Where do you but this HDPE lumber (in Midwest)?

A place that stocks, with a variety of shapes and colors.

I know I can get deck board but that's not what I'm after. THANKS.

Reply to
mkr5000

that sell plastic furniture and products but no info on raw materials.

I think you are confused. Plastic furniture parts are not usually made from sheets, planks, or sticks of material. The individual parts are normally cast, injected, or extruded and are unique to each particular product.

You've not indicated what it is you are trying to make, but you will not find a source for what I think you're after.

If your needs can be met with acrylic or Lexan, then go to a plastic supplier like: Cope

possibility would be to purchase sheets from toilet partition folks like:
made counter tops are a type of plastic also:

DanG

that sell plastic furniture and products but no info on raw materials.

I'm not sure HDPE is what you're wanting. If you want plastic "lumber" you may be looking for products made from PVC. My small-town lumber yard stocks products made by

I'm sure there are many other vendors out there.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

that sell plastic furniture and products but no info on raw materials.

What, specifically, _are_ you after?

Normal lumber yards stock (or can get) products from Azek, Versatex or one of the other manufacturers of structural/trim lumber replacement products.(+) As was noted elsewhere, most of these are PVC, not HDPE (which will be quite expensive in any volume) if that's what you're looking for. If you really are looking for the cast parts from which many products are made as individual assemblies, there you're probably out of luck unless you want to buy them by the car (or container) load direct from the manufacturer.

Or, try Outwater

(+) If you're not positive what these are, Fine Homebuilding

indirectly) did a comparison article some couple or three years ago that compared the various products. While similar, they're not all made alike and have different characteristics depending on the fabrication technique and materials.

--

Reply to
dpb

You are after the smooth stuff on both sides?

I was unable to come up with a source for a small amount. My SWMBO wanted a table / umbrella stand (small about 24 " ) for around the pool. The material is perfect because of the weight. I wound up using TREX deck board because no one would sell small amounts of the smooth stuff.

Once I started laying it out, she wanted the wood grained side anyway. So I got lucky.

The stuff works well, but I had problems with screws > I wouldn't ask but I've Googled this to death and nothing. Plenty of places

that sell plastic furniture and products but no info on raw materials.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Humph! My brother built his deck with the plastic lumber. His looks okay to me. I expected he got it from HD or Lowes, AKA a common "hardware" store. But we do have Carter's and a few other lumber only places around Central Ohio. He is asleep know. He will be awake in a few hours.

Mike > I wouldn't ask but I've Googled this to death and nothing. Plenty of places

that sell plastic furniture and products but no info on raw materials.

Reply to
Kenefick

This doesn't look precast to me --

't want to use deck boards -- perhaps these guys are using HDPE SHEET and cutting it to size.

I know you do custom colors in HDPE.

PVC is not what I meant or what I'm after.

Reply to
mkr5000

doesn't look like cast material to me and I'm not after PVC -- it's HDPE.

I'm starting to think that they're making these products out of custom HDPE sheet and then cutting to size.

Reply to
mkr5000

cutting it to size.

Well, if that is what you're after, why

1) didn't you say so in the beginning, and

2) from the link you posted--

which is a live link...

Reply to
dpb

Why don't you start to think they manufacture the product from recycled plastics for themselves like their web site says they do?

It appears to me they make parts for themselves; whether they do or would sell material other than as furniture is indeterminate afaict from the web site.

I suggest you contact them directly and ask if that's what you want.

AFAIK there isn't another; this is the first I've seen the actual product altho I do recall some hype about the recycling possibilities some years ago hadn't ever seen any result(s) therefrom...

Reply to
dpb

Why don't you start to think they manufacture the product from recycled plastics for themselves like their web site says they do?

It appears to me they make parts for themselves; whether they do or would sell material other than as furniture is indeterminate afaict from the web site.

I suggest you contact them directly and ask if that's what you want.

AFAIK there isn't another; this is the first I've seen the actual product altho I do recall some hype about the recycling possibilities some years ago hadn't ever seen any result(s) therefrom... ============================================================= There are two more. Renew and Trimax.

CW

Why don't you start to think they manufacture the product from recycled plastics for themselves like their web site says they do?

It appears to me they make parts for themselves; whether they do or would sell material other than as furniture is indeterminate afaict from the web site.

I suggest you contact them directly and ask if that's what you want.

AFAIK there isn't another; this is the first I've seen the actual product altho I do recall some hype about the recycling possibilities some years ago hadn't ever seen any result(s) therefrom... ============================================================= There are two more. Renew and Trimax.

another one. Polyforce.

CW

Why don't you start to think they manufacture the product from recycled plastics for themselves like their web site says they do?

It appears to me they make parts for themselves; whether they do or would sell material other than as furniture is indeterminate afaict from the web site.

I suggest you contact them directly and ask if that's what you want.

AFAIK there isn't another; this is the first I've seen the actual product altho I do recall some hype about the recycling possibilities some years ago hadn't ever seen any result(s) therefrom... ============================================================= There are two more. Renew and Trimax.

keep finding more. Rather than list them, just Google recycled structural plastic.

Reply to
CW

that sell plastic furniture and products but no info on raw materials.

Where is this "Midwest" you refer to?

Do you mean that north east corner of the US??

I tend to thing of Texas, Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska, etc as "MID", so maybe Arizona, Utah, Idaho would be "Midwest" now.

As for HDPE, I think you might find what you want at Regal Plastics (Texas)

Richard

that sell plastic furniture and products but no info on raw materials.

Richard, don't be a dick! DAGS.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

The "Midwest is historically:

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin.

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah yeah yeah.

That was then. This is now...

Reply to
Richard

Are you going to site a reference for that? ; ) My "midwest" never went that far north.

Reply to
Bill

Google USA MAP.

But yes, I suppose you are right. That would properly be mid north?

:^)

Reply to
Richard

Huh?