Where to buy furnace

I replaced the air conditioner components a couple of years ago but the furnace unit was still working fine. Now the fan has died in the furnace so the AC is useless too. I can't seem to find anywhere to buy a new furnace to install myself. All searches just bring up service companies that only sell and install them. Specific location is the Austin area but any general information would be great.

Reply to
Jon

Have you tried Craigslist?

Reply to
Bill

Yes, so far all I found there was complete units with AC. I just can't believe Home Depot and Lowes don't have them.

Reply to
Jon

HVAC trade is very insular - doesn't like to work with or sell parts to DIYers. But, there are a few mail order places, like

But, be aware you won't get any warranty on equipment not installed by a dealer; parts may be difficult to come by; and if you do need professional help at some point, it may be difficult to find a tech to work on a self-install.

Reply to
Heatmiser

You replaced the unit. I would contact the outfit that replaced it, and get them to get the furnace.

Reply to
Bill

This is exactly what doesn't make any sense to me. You can buy everything else to build a house yourself so why not a furnace? I understand you need to be qualified and licensed to dispense freon for the AC but if I know I can put in a furnace I shouldn't have anything stopping me from buying one. You can buy a gas water heater at Home Depot so if you're smart enough to shut off your gas and change it out then why not a furnace? Anyway I ended up finding a good used one on craigslist, installed it myself, and it is working great. Thanks for the link, I would have expected to find a place like that in every major city!

Reply to
Jon

Don't fell bad. A friend had an ac condenser fan motor fail. No local supply house would sell us a motor with out an EPA cert. We could order one online then wait several days for it. We wound up going to another city about two hours away to get it. The locals supplies said it was a "new law" all work was to be by licensed service. The local HVAC in an round Knoxville Tn. is trying to locking out the individual or non-cert. repairmen with the parts houses help.

I know if it had been an a refrigeration repair we would have dealt with someone cert. with the proper tools. But a bad motor no way! I have had the schooling an can get around an ac system with no problem just don't have ac equipment or cert. but no problem doing any other repair.

metalSmith's

Reply to
ke4fxc_at_knology_dot_net