continuous cleaning oven

In the 70's (gold stoves and appliances were popular) my parents remodeled their kitchen and purchased Kenmore appliances. The oven was a continuous cleaning type and it worked Wonderfully. In fact my brother now lives in the house and the stove is still being used. My mother NEVER had to clean the oven in all the years it was in use. The interior was as nice inside as when it was bought new. The secret to using the continuous clean feature was to use your oven often. The more you used it the cleaner it stayed. My mother probably used it 5 days or more throughout the week. She had to make meals for a family of 9 so she did a lot of roast and baking and pie baking etc. I purchased a Kenmore Self cleaning oven and I hate it. It never gets really clean inside even though I run it on the 4 hour cycle. The racks can't be left in to self clean and the first time I actually cleaned it the brown sootl from the cleaning came out of the stove top vent back splash and discolored the white plastic. It was still under warranty so Sears replaced the back splash. I now always put a very wet towel over the area to prevent discoloration. What I failed to realize that in the front of the oven door are several more vents and now I have brown discoloration in front. It is very disappointing and looks terrible. I am thinking of getting rid of it and buying another one and hoping they still make continuous cleaning ovens, When I complained to Sears the first time they told me I was the first person to ever complain about the discoloration. I don't know if it was just a design flaw or that they lied or no one ever bothered to complain. I would do better with easy off oven cleaner because it does look nicer when done and just more work and less expensive.

Reply to
Linda Rae

I don't think they made that type for 30 years now. You are the first person I ever heard say they liked it. IMO, Continuous Clean was really "always looks dirty"

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't have experience with the continuous clean type, but I have a kitche naid self cleaning and it works fine. Not much left but a little light ash , no black stuff coming out the vents. Also, I think all these ovens contin uous clean to some extent. It's just that at the very high clean cycle temp s it can oxidize the gunk even more. If it wasn't burning some of it off a ll the time I think it would get dirtier a lot quicker.

Reply to
trader_4

And some shade of dark green.

Yes, I liked mine too. I never had to clean it and it was never very dirty. It was always a little dirty, at least they said so. Being a guy, I didn't pay attention, but I believe them. But if anyone had complained, I'd just say, I'm following the rules. You weren't supposed to use oven cleaner or that would ruin it.

Unfortunately during one period I let it get far too dirty, spills or something, which I could have dissipated by more cooking, if I hadn't then spilled more yet, and I had an oven fire. I was going to fix the thing, get a new heating element iirc, but I let the door slam a little and one layer of it shattered. Obviously damaged by the heat. And I think I needed an oven thermostat too, And some damage to the control panel in back, that seemed to be going away with cleanilng. But also I'm sure the self-cleaning layer was burnt off.

I think you're right.

But I loved it.

After the fire I looked for another harvest gold stove. If I couldnt' find one, I'd have had to replace the refrigerator too, which is bad because of the money and worse because I don't like any current colors.

The dishwasher was gold too but it wasn't a problem because it has 3 or

4 sheets of metal with a different color on each side, enough to match almost anything.

I put a want ad on Craigslist and a guy wrote me. He wasnt' looking to sell his oven, he was trying to buy firewood, and he had searched on "fire", and he found my ad. HIs oven was like new. He said his mother-in-law, who had just given it to them for a second stove, was a neat freak and she must have been. They said his wife cooked a lot and they were going to buy another stove to replace it, which makes no sense to me, since I wasn't paying enough to buy a replacement, and he wouldn't even take the extra 25 or 50 that I offered, because I was so happy to find it and he helped us get it out of the basement, except maybe the gold clashed with the family room where it was kept. (remember, 2nd oven).

It's a GE, SELF-cleaning, and when I do that, I get some grey ash, and it's not perfectly clean. But it doesn't scorch or damage anything on the ooutside. . I leave the racks in, which one is not supposed to do, and they don't slide well for the first several days afterwards. I only do it about once a year.

My only "complaint" about it was that none of the burners or other parts I removed from the old Kenmore would work in a GE.

I took my old stove to the town dump, but some guy at the entrance asked for it so I gave it to him and he piled it on the back of this pickup. He was I'm sure going to sell it for scrap metal. That's why he was waiting there.

Reply to
micky

On Thu 22 Jun 2017 03:14:05p, Linda Rae told us...

They haven't made stoves with continuous cleaning ovens for decades. There was one in an apartment I rented for about 5 years and the cleaning feature worked beautifully.

We have had several self-cleaning stoves over the years and have never experienced the problems you've had. Our current stove doesn't even leave a visible ash residue. Our stove is black, but I clean the exterior extremely well and have never noticed any discoloration on any part of it.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

micky posted for all of us...

Avocado green...

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to Linda Rae, Kitty Wife wrote: Hi Linda Rae, When I married in 1970, the first thing I bought was a Kenmore continuous clean range. It was a 36" one, and I LOVED it!! I learned to can on this range, used my pressure cooker all during the autumn, cooked large meals in the oven and it worked so great!! I never had to clean it except for the grates. By the way, it had a large oven and smaller one to the side. We had to move 8 years later due to my hubby's transfer and took everything with us. So the range was used 16 more years in the next house. Sadly, when we made our last and final move, our wonderful range would not fit, so we left it behind. :-( When we re-did our kitchen, we looked high and low for another range just like it, but Kenmore no longer makes them. I now have a GE and HATE it. It's a self-cleaning one that overheats when it cleans and has to be pulled away from the wall, uses a TON of electricity, does NOT have enough stove surface for my pressure cooker and is JUNK! I'm still looking for the type I used to have without any success. Yes, I used my oven EVERY day as did your Mother. (I'm probably around her age. ) I sure wish Kenmore would MAKE the model I had, and I'd buy it today!!

Reply to
Kitty Wife

Hi Kitty and Linda,

Have you seen these?

- Cookin' and cleanin' is women's work...as God intended.

Reply to
Betty Louise