Continuous power strip

Hi,

Saw at a lighting store (wasn't for sale) a continuous 4" power strip. It was a narrow strip with long grooves that allowed one to plug in anywhere along the strip. Can these things be found for sale somewhere? What would they be called?

Thanks,

Sam

Reply to
Sam Takoy

I don't have a source, but I'm curious as to why you would want one.

You can get 4' strips with 12 outlets like this:

Do you have situation where the type you described would be better?

I'm just curious, that's all.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I want to incorporate it into a built-in piece of furniture where it would look very inconspicuous.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Takoy

OK, gotta ask...

Why would a continuous strip be any more inconspicuous than an outlet strip?

Wouldn't it still have plugs plugged into it? I would think that that would pretty much give it away.

Yes, I can see how it would might be more inconspicuous when unused. Are you building the piece for sale?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They used to be very common. I still have one. My guess is that they no longer make them because the continuous strip allows polarized plugs to be plugged in the wrong way.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

You mean that one continuous strip isn't wider than the other continuous strip? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I used to have those in my workshop.

As others have said, they are probably no longer available due to lack of polarization (like that makes a big freakin' difference on a soldering iron). Plus there is no provision for the ground plug.

I, too, have visited the desirability of hiding unsightly outlets. A couple of tricks I've used include:

  • Mounting a power strip under the item's ledge and increasing the apparent thickness of the ledge to hide it.
  • Hiding an outlet with a flip-up cover that matched the environment.

Just for fun, you might try making your own - a length of Nylon bar, some brass door insulation strips, a little time with a router...

Reply to
HeyBub

They also make it exceptionally easy for children to stick metallic items in the long slots and electrocute themselves.

Reply to
Pete C.

Since you could point to this item in use, we guess a lighting store would be able to tell you what it is still called and whether it is still on the market.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Agreed, safety issues have made them uncommon. I used to have one. I can see how it would be a lot easier to hide than a conventional strip with 3 prong outlets.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I used to have one also, it took 3 prong grounded receptacles so I don't see any problem with polarized plugs. Problems I saw with them was the live metal strip was easily contacted if one allowed metal to drop into the channel, and receptacles were easily pulled out of the strip if you were removing a tightly fitting plug.

Reply to
EXT

Uh, at a lighting store, it was probably on their demo rack where they plug in lots of lights at once. I never thought to look- are the powered tracks for track lighting the same spacing as wall outlets?

Reply to
aemeijers

Sam, look at WireMold non metallic raceway. It allows voltage and low volt and lets you place terminals where you want. Not quite what you are looking for, but may work for you.

Panduit also makes similar.

Reply to
DanG

replying to Sam Takoy, Maybelle wrote: Did you ever find them? I'm looking for one ten years later...they were awesome, and MUCH less conspicuous than having an outlet every so many inches.

DerbyDad03 (along with others here) seems not to understand that the point of it is that you don't SEE anything that LOOKS LIKE an outlet, so it's not immediately obvious that things plug in. AND if mounted on an underside lip or somewhere else where plugging something in requires doing it by feel instead of by sight, it's WAY easier.

Reply to
Maybelle