cell phone charger on 2nd power strip doesn't charge

I have two power strips connected in serial. It is wall->strip A->strip B.

I have two Huawei cell phones, different models. When I plug phone A to strip B, the phone can charge. However, if I plug phone B to strip B, after overnight, the battery capacity is still zero (zero to start with).

If I plug phone A or B to strip A, it can charge.

In conclusion:

strip B can charge only phone A but not phone B. strip A can charge both phones.

Any explanation to this mystery? Thanks.

Reply to
yyy378

Are the strips identical ? Sounds like the plug prongs on charger b aren't making contact in the b strip .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Phone B is bad, or Phone B charger is bad.

Duh.

Reply to
micky

Sorry. I forgot to mention that I used the same charger for both phones which are of the same brand but different model number.

Reply to
yyy378

I use the same charger for both phones whether on strip A or B.

Reply to
yyy378

Typically when charging phones have an indicator light or icon that shows it's charging. What does that show? I assume you've verified that other loads will work when plugged into B? Tried different receptacle spots on B?

Reply to
trader_4

The cell phone shows a battery with a green bar, a typical sign of charging. However, after charging overnight, the battery still shows 0% and when I unplug the phone, it quickly goes dead.

When I use the same charger on the same strip B, same spot, to charge another phone, the percentage does go up, meaning it is actually charging.

Reply to
yyy378

How about the USB cable connecting the charger to the phone? Is this integral with the charger or are you switching it with the phone?

Thane

Reply to
Thane

Let me guess, you purchased power strip B at McLowesDepotBigBoxMartWarehouseSuperstore?

If you want a power strip with high-quality receptacles, consider a Tripp Lite Isobar.

Reply to
jimmy

Sounds like a dead battery in phone B. The indicators are often based on voltage and batteries can show good voltage under very light loads (like a metering circuit) but not have any real power to deliver when put under a real load.

Reply to
Robert Green

weird. What happens if you change the position of the strips to:

wall>strip BE > Strip A?

Reply to
taxed and spent

Same charger, same USB cable.

Reply to
yyy378

I thought so too until I plugged the charger to strip A and it started to charge the phone B which I had thought having a dead battery.

Reply to
yyy378

On 25/07/2015 19:29, jimmy wrote: [snipped]

Probably even worse than that. A power strip in the U.S. lasts many years. Here, the typical life time of a power strip is no more than one year.

But that still doesn't answer why the same charger on the same power strip can charge one phone but not the other phone of the same brand but different model.

Reply to
yyy378

Oh! Good thinking. I never thought of that. Let me try it tonight.

Reply to
yyy378

If it was a bad battery then it would not charge when plugged into strip A. Good grief.

Reply to
trader_4

But it works plugged into the other strip.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

To solve your little mystery, a technician would need to measure the output voltage of the power supply while the phone is plugged in but not charging.

Reply to
Mo' Freestuff

I can't wait that long!

Reply to
taxed and spent

Green bar might mean "some thing plugged into the charging socket".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon