phone charger adapter?

I recently had to get a new mobile after my old one . . . well let's just s= ay there was a water immersion event.

Needless to say the charger for the new phone has a different end than the = old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I als= o had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 new = ones for the new phone? Or does someone carry an adapter that would let me= convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? -- H

Reply to
heathcliff

say there was a water immersion event.

e old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I a= lso had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 ne= w ones for the new phone? =A0Or does someone carry an adapter that would le= t me convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? =A0-- H

My guess is that there are two basic differences in the two chargers.

  1. the physical plug where it fits into the phone. 2. The voltage/ amperage of electricity that the charger produces. This is usually listed on the charger. If the output voltage/amperage match on both chargers, then it may be possible to buy an adapter that converts the plug of the old one to match the new one. If the voltage/amperage don't match, then you'll need to get new chargers that are for that make/model of phone.

Rob

Reply to
rlz

st say there was a water immersion event.

the old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I= also had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 = new ones for the new phone? =A0Or does someone carry an adapter that would = let me convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? =A0-- H

i suggest you just buy new chargers, check e bay if you want to save money, or try wall mart....

the verizon store markups must be 5 times cost

Reply to
bob haller

there was a water immersion event.

one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I also had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 new ones for the new phone? Or does someone carry an adapter that would let me convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? -- H

You didn't reveal the new phone model for some reason but it might be micro USB . If so that is the standard for newer phones so just get a charger and you are set. Nice part is they are inexpensive and fit all new devices.

Reply to
George

The only phones and other portable devices I buy in the near future, will ALL have a USB connector for charging This has made standardization of chargers in the house, 2 cars and 5 phones a lot easier.

The first question to ask is, what is the connector to the phone from the power supply ? If it's NOT USB, then the OP is stuck buying separate chargers for house and car. If it's USB, you can buy a standard lighter plug that takes standard USB cords for your car and house You can even charge your phone off your computer,

Reply to
Atila Iskander

It was reported that even the new iPhone to be revealed today will have the micro-USB connector rather than the Apple-proprietary one.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

say there was a water immersion event.

e old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I a= lso had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 ne= w ones for the new phone? =A0Or does someone carry an adapter that would le= t me convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? =A0-- H

Sink or toilet drop?

Reply to
hrhofmann

say there was a water immersion event. Needless to say the charger for the= new phone has a different end than the old one. (New phone is a Samsung, o= ld one was Nokia) For the old one, I also had chargers at the office and in= my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 new ones for the new phone? Or does som= eone carry an adapter that would let me convert the old chargers to use on = the new phone? -- H

Car adaptor for Samsung, I got for, I believe, $9 at Walmart. I think ther= e are adaptors with multiple plugs too.

Reply to
Frank

new phone? =A0-- H

Others have already suggested that you should buy new chargers and some have suggested eBay or sources other than the phone manufacturer in order to save money.

While I agree with that, let me warn you about some of the choices that are out there. The really cheap ones available on eBay and other sites can be dangerous to your phone.

I once purchased a set of 2 chargers for my Droid 3 for something like $15 on eBay. Each time I'd use either one, the phone would do weird things like re-boot or open apps, etc. It only happened with those 2 cheap chargers.

A friend of mine bought a cheap charger from a different source and it did the same things to his phone. Unfortunately he used his charger one time too many and it turned his phone into a brick. Luckily it was under warranty and Verizon replaced it.

I now try to stay in the middle of the road with off-brand chargers. Stay away from the really cheap ones if you value your phone.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Meh!

Battery for my Blackberry: Verizon: $32.50, Ebay miscellaneous seller: $3.50

Reply to
HeyBub

And there are at least 4 different "mini and micro" USB plugs in use.

Reply to
clare

My wall and car plugs all have USB sockets So the ONLY thing I need to worry about is the USB cable Right now only one of my 5 cell phones has a different US (male) cable. But that's because it's an older phone. Also by using my desktop and laptop computers as power sources, we have eliminated the wall sockets as well.

Reply to
Atila Iskander

I only know of one "Mini-B" and one "Micro-B" USB plug. There are others, like the one's that cameras often use but they're not called "Micro-B", AFAIK.

Reply to
krw
[snip]

My phone (Motorola Entice) has started displaying "UNAUTHORIZED CHARGER" with most chargers (including PC USB ports), even the one it came with. The only thing that works is an external battery (Scoche).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I've never seen adaptors. But, the chargers are fairly cheap, online. Many chargers can also be found at Dollar Tree, or Family dollar.

Sorry to hear your phone hit the briney deep. Barnacle's Grave?

.

Needless to say the charger for the new phone has a different end than the old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I also had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 new ones for the new phone? Or does someone carry an adapter that would let me convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? -- H

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

say there was a water immersion event.

e old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I a= lso had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 ne= w ones for the new phone? Or does someone carry an adapter that would let = me convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? -- H

Thanks for the replies. The old phone went through the wash in a pants poc= ket. As I discovered when I noticed something clunking around in the dryer= . The new phone model is Samsung SGH t139, if it matters. It's a cheap non=

-smart phone. (Fits me!) The charger plug on it is "S20-pin," not sure if= that corresponds to micro-USB or mini-USB, it is kind of USB-shaped but sm= aller. I think on the phone it doubles as a headset connector.

Chargers at W*Mart are around $15 or $20, looks like that might be the only= option. I'll probably check the local dollar store. -- H

Reply to
heathcliff

I used to get a similar message from my old LG-Touch when using some aftermarket chargers.

My Droid 3 doesn't care whose charger I use, except for the really cheap ones that I posted about earlier. Those just messed up my phone by re-booting it, opening apps, etc.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Go to Dollar General and buy a charger for under $10. They sell them for most phones and have built in adaptors. That's cheaper than screwing around trying to fit some old adaptor, which might be the wrong voltage anyhow. DG has chargers for many brands of phones. Other places sell them too.

Reply to
27andone