Charging mobile phone

I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I suspect the socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge it. I had to buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the battery how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of the phone?
Kevin

Borrow a battery from someone with the same phone?
--
*Save a tree, eat a beaver*

Depends on the phone, but some have separate charger and USB sockets. You can try charging it from USB if the charger socket doesn't work. If that helps, buy a USB charger.
Theo
Zen83237 wrote:

Some of the data is on the SIM card, but I guess you already know that.
--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Take it to your local mobile repair shop and get them to pull the data to a stick for you.

And how are they going to charge the battery?
MBQ
On 21/06/2011 10:12, Man at B&Q wrote:

One option:
Remove batter and look at the marked voltage. Set bench PSU to same Connect PSU to battery terminals on phone...
--
Cheers,

John.

That's the DIY solution :-)
MBQ

Bench PSU? Whats wrong with two flyleads from the phone charger?
--
Adam

The phone charger input is likely at a different voltage to the natural cell voltage of the battery (eg 5V from USB v 3.6V from lithium ion). The battery charge circuit might not like that.
As it is, you might still have difficulty: the battery smarts won't be there. Depends whether the phone will power up if it has a voltage but can't read status from the battery.
Theo

Ta.
--
Adam

On 21/06/2011 13:41, Theo Markettos wrote:

Phone batteries are not *usually* that smart - they usually have a simple analogue circuit which will disconnect the battery to prevent overcharge or overcurrent. The third terminal is usually a thermistor connected to the negative terminal which the charging circuit in the phone uses to monitor battery temperature.
I have successfully charged phone batteries from a bench PSU.
On 21/06/2011 17:23, Gareth wrote:

Yup, BTDTGTTS. The nice posh farnell ones with current limiter are good for this - just set that to 100mA or similar and hook it up - no need to be too fussy with the voltage that way.
--
Cheers,

John.

On 21/06/2011 19:04, John Rumm wrote:

I would recommend setting the voltage carefully for a lithium ion battery as they can fail spectacularly, see the explosion 2 minutes into this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMy2_qNO2Y0&feature=related

The maximum voltage for a single cell is 4.2V.
Any commercial battery will probably have a protection module to prevent over voltage so you would almost certainly get away it if you did set the voltage a bit too high but all the datasheets I have seen recommend that you don't rely on the protection module for for charge termination.
Gareth

Umm -- being thick here, sorry: everyone's assuming that the phone will not work when plugged into its charger. Is that so?
I mean: I recently changed my phone for the same reasons: my phone worked ok when plugged in, so I transferred all data (not much!) to the SIM, then swopped the SIM out to the new phone, transferred all data to that phone, then swopped the new SIM back in. (Advice to do this is in my new phone's instructions booklet.)
...But I guess your phone's not working when plugged in...
John
--

p.s.: John Rumm < snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.null> wrote:
> Yup, BTDTGTTS. ...
Another John wrote:

Am I the only person in Britain who has *all* the stuff on his mobile phones backed up onto a computer in a readily recoverable format?
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John, I'd *definitely* do that if my working (not to mention my social) life involved a mobile phone more, but happily I've escaped that scenario. :-D
John

Not now. The connection was a bit iffy for a week. Lay the phone down in not quite the right position it would stop charging then I would have to hold the plug in tight but now nothing. I will try and find somebody with a phone with same battery the get the contact list off of it but Samsungs don't seem that common.

Oh yes they are.
Whether the phone takes any notice is another matter
On 21/06/2011 11:04, John Rumm wrote:

I have successfully charged Lithium Ion phone batteries from a bench power supply at 4.2V with the current limit set to < 1/10th of the battery capacity (e.g. < 100mA for a 1Ah battery)
Lithium ion batteries can burst into flames in a very spectacular way if abused so be careful (the battery pack will have protection electronics to protect it from overcharge so it's unlikely to explode but it can happen).
Alternatively, if you just want to get data off you could connect a suitable power supply directly to the battery contacts on the phone. For a lithium ion battery anything between 3.3 and 4.2V should work.