Anyone else having problems with Duracell batteries? (2024 Update)

From some of my devices, I am taking out Duracell batteries that I had installed back in 2003 and 2004 with no problems; yes, they used to be that good. I normally mark dates on the batteries with a black marker. The thing is, Duracell is not going back to be close to any of my devices. After replacing the older batteries, new Duracell batteries with power left in them, and within months of installation, have been leaking. So far the crappy Duracells have ruined the following items for me, both at home (h) and in the office (o); the prices for the damaged items are approximate to what they cost:

2 Small adding/printing Canon calculators (o) $15 both 1 TI-89 Calculator (h) $150 2 300g x0.01 g jewelry scales (o) $20 both 1 Craftsman Engine Analyzer (h) $130 or so 1 Gilmour Garden Watering Timer (h) $38 2 "9 LED" flashlights (h) $6 both 1 2D cell Maglite Flashlight (h) $35 1 3D cell Maglite Flashlight (o) $45 1 2AA cell Maglite flashlight (mom's) $20 1 Analog Multimeter (h) $20 1 Garmin GPS12 (h) $150 1 Remote for HDTV top set box (h) $40 for the box and remote

In most cases, the devices stopped working not because the batteries were dead, but because the leak had corroded and ruined the device's battery contacts.

The batteries affected are AA, AAA, D and 9V types. A couple of 9V batteries, with less than one year of installed in smoke detectors, were replaced as soon as the detectors began beeping. Those batteries were swollen and had open seams. About a month ago, I took one from a smoke detector dated 2004.

The defective batteries have come from different large size packs bought both at BJ's club or local reputable retailers.

I wonder why Consumer Reports continues to say that Duracell Batteries are good. Are they blind? Is Duracell selling the crappy batteries in the south east US only?

Thanks for paying attention to my rant.

Reply to
AS

Yes i bought a 10 pack of the AA batters and when i opened the pack they were all bad and everyone had leaked out . I just got some AAA the same time when i opened them they were the same . Don't BUY DURACELL BATTERS!!!!!

Reply to
Larry Hornsby

AAA Duracells bought out of a reputable shop, used 3 the rest died in the box after 5 months, $ods aren't cheap either...

Reply to
alan vincent

Last year I had a similar problem with a 60-pack of Rayovac AA batteries datd good till 2028 that I bought from the Home Depot.

They corroded/leaked and trashed a $100 Apple wireless keyboard. And

15-16 of the batteries still in the retail package had corroded/leaked and were covered with a white pastey powder. The ones in the keyboard were wedged in there so tightly they could not be removed.

Rayovac (owned these days by Energizer) eventually sent me a check for the keyboard and the pack of batteries-- but dragged me through hot grease for about two months with numerous requests for additional seemingly irrelevant info and pictures of the batts and the keyboard from many different angles. I had initially submitted 11 clear pictures and a lengthy detailed description of the damage and circumstances. We traded a couple of dozen emails before they paid me.

Four other batts from the same package also leaked/corroded in a $40 ATT desk phone. But I was able to remove the crud and restore it to function and decided not to go around with them again. They got off cheap!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

When you buy the batteries, you have no idea how long or how well they've been stored by the warehouse, delivery, and shop. Buying huge bulk packs is often not worth the supposed savings over buying smaller packs more often.

Reply to
Your Name

Well I guess that's possible. But can't small packages be warehoused just as long as the large ones?

Plus-- these days, many brands of alkaline AAA. AA, C and D batteries claim a 10 year shelf life and have the expiry date printed right on the battery case.

I also give a failing mark to Panasonic Eneloop rechargeable AAs.

I paid a lot for a 12-pack of them-- includi9ng the correct Panasonic charger. Eneloops claim to retain an 80% charge after a year's storage. For mine though, after a year's light use and recharging, they all started to self-discharge to zero in a week or so.

I emailed Panasonic Customer No-Service several times but never got any kind of response from them. Phone calls went into Voicemail Hell and were not returned.

These days, I just buy Costco private label batts which are manufactured by Duracell. Haven't had any problems with them---so far!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I've bought hundreds of AAA, AA, 9v Duracell batteries from Costco over the last two decades. Nary a single one has ever leaked in storage or in use. While the kirkland (Costco House Brand) on the other hand routinely leaked after installation when infrequently used.

A bit of mild acetic acid followed by a water wash has cleaned the effects of the corrosion in all the devices (usually remote controls) where the kirkland cells had leaked.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I"ve read that one of the local supermarket chains makes a bigger effort to refrgigerate its milk, compared to others that might let the milk sit on the loading dock or somewhere else outside the fridge for hours, and that this chain's milk tends to last longer.

Reply to
micky

I would suggest that your reasoning is reversed; Warehouse stores like Costco operate on "just-in-time" inventory primarily, so the batteries you get there will be fresher than most; likely only a few days from manufacture.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

When I was 9 years old and I wanted the prize in a box of cereal, but there were no more in the supermarket, I would go to the corner grocery where they seemed to have old boxes. I probably only did this once, but I think it was pretty clever of an 8 or 9 year old to notice this or figure it out. My mother had a car so I don't think she ever went to that store, so it was all me.

Reply to
micky

I too am seeing Duracell battery failures even before use. I buy the bulk pack from Costco and had half a package fail 6 years before the 2030 exp date. Visible evidence of black coating at positive terminal and or leakage. More people need to complain and return the batteries to point of purchase. But what a mess and its often easier to just dispose of them. I've also had damage to tv remotes from the failed Duracell batteries in use. Made in China and very questionable quality control.

Reply to
Kona coffee

February 13, 2024

I have had a problem with Duracell alkaline AA batteries purchased at Costco. The batteries were stored in a drawer in my office, in their original packaging. The 'use by' date is 2033. Duracell has provided me with a voucher to replace the entire package of 24 units.

Today, I noticed that a package of Kirkland / Costco alkaline AA batteries with a 'use by' date of 2029 are also beginning to corrode. Costco's Kirkland batteries are manufactured by Duracell. I guess I get to go stand in line at the Costco return desk and see what response I receive.

Reply to
theatrepro

Yes, I share the same problem. Some of my AAA’s from Costco with a use by date of MAR 2031 are leaking straight out of the package. I keep them in an oak filing cabinet in my bedroom, so there haven’t been any extreme temperature swings. I caution buying any Duracell batteries. Pity; they used to be pretty good…

Reply to
ensconced