Golston fake Duracell Batteries

I ran into an interesting one today. A failed microphone battery that at first glance was obviously a leaking Duracell AAA cell.

But on closer inspection after getting it out of the unit was a clever clone using exactly the same paint job copper top, black body and white writing but instead of Duracell it said "Golston". The battery had leaked quite badly and caustic had damaged the unit.

Seems Golston are a real Chinese battery company and these fakes no longer form a part of their product line according to their website. Any seen them for sale in the UK?

They seem to work OK as alkaline batteries as long as you don't leave them to leak all over after they have fully discharged. The result with pink caustic goo everywhere was not nice to handle.

Reply to
Martin Brown

But they are marked Golston not Duracell, how can anyone be confused? Supermarket shelves are packed with cheap products with brandings that are heavily "inspired" by the market leaders.

Reply to
Graham.

Related:

I'm trying to find the T&C's of Duracell UK concerning equipment damage from leakage. Seems a bit elusive, to make me wonder if they have dropped it over here.

"Leaked Duracell commercial"

've got a leakage ruined POS digital camera of no great value, but ...

Reply to
Adrian C

So a good copy of a Duracell? I've had lots of Duracells leak over the ages. No better and maybe even worse than supermarket cheapies.

I've also been through a box of MN1604 - admittedly marked 2011 - where they are all reading less than 6 volt no load. I'd expect a battery at the end of its shelf life still to work ok for a couple of years in a low drain environment.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

the one designed to confuse is "Eveready".

Reply to
charles

Gosh, that takes me back to the late '80 and I was asked to collect together some examples of TV remote controls complete with corroded batteries from a troublesome batch that leaked early in their life.

This was at the request of the management of a big hotel in Manchester who were suffering hundreds of failures and were testing Mallory's supposed guarantee in these matters. I don't recall what the outcome was.

Part of Proctor and Gamble now, I see.

Reply to
Graham.

How so?

The Eveready batteries you see today are made by the descendent of the company that made them years ago.

1899 - the American Electrical Novelty and Manufacturing Company patented the electric torch (flashlight) powered by D cell batteries

1905 - the company changed its name to The American Ever Ready Company, selling torches & batteries under the brand "Ever Ready".

1906 - the company established its British subsidiary, British Ever Ready Electrical Company

1914 - the British Ever Ready company became independent

1986 - the US company became the Eveready Battery Company, Inc.

1992 - Eveready bought the British Ever Ready company again

2000 - Eveready was listed on the NYSE as Energizer Holdings Inc, with Eveready Battery Company as a child company.

Energizer also owns Schick and Wilkinson Sword. Ever wondered why they are trying to market razors that vibrate? So they can sell you batteries....

Just as with Procter & Gamble, who own Duracell, Gilette (razors) and Braun (battery toothbrushes).

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

because Ever Ready is not the same as EveReady. I first came across the name in a Japanese tranny in 1963 - which doesn't fit with your timeline.

Reply to
charles

Ever Ready and Eveready are one and the same.

One company that split into two companies (US and British) and is now one company again.

Can't see why that wouldn't "fit" with the timeline.

Reply to
funkyoldcortina